Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes, to keep taps flowing and toilets flushing.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open.What you will be doing
An exciting opportunity to be part of a growing civil engineering team that is creating the intelligent client that Thames Water needs to be to achieve its AMP7 ambitions and beyond.
Focusing on Civil Engineering Hydraulics, the role will provide the capability needed to:
Key areas of accountability include:
- Undertake feasibility assessment and provide concept and outline design of engineering solutions to address identified business needs
- Get the right technical requirements within project definition briefs
- Input and continuously improve technical asset standards
- Provide technical assurance during the delivery, commissioning, and handover of assets
- Drive the digital advancement of our engineering within the corporate digital strategy by inputting the development of digital twins in some of our plants
- Ensure and deliver the engineering regulatory compliance on relevant assets in the civil engineering area
We're looking for you to
- Collate and interpret data such as as-built drawings and operational data required to establish the hydraulic capacity of existing assets
- Undertake hydraulic capacity assessments of water and wastewater treatment works
- Engage with the wastewater network modelling team to establish flows arriving at wastewater treatment works
- Engage and liaise with internal stakeholders such as Operations and System Planning
- Undertake root cause analyses to fully understand the causes/sources of the engineering issues affecting the performance of existing assets and develop the most viable solution
- Support junior engineers with their project deliverables
- Lead and take ownership of hydraulic studies
- Support the establishment of a cohesive, sustainable engineering structure from graduate to industry experts that leads Thames Water's engineering requirements into AMP8 and beyond
What's in it for you?
- Be a recognised senior engineer in civil engineering hydraulics with significant knowledge of the water industry
- Degree level qualification or equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline and preferably chartered
- Good understanding of analysis, design, and operation of water supply and sewer networks
- Previous knowledge in water and wastewater treatment works design
- Previous knowledge in undertaking a hydraulic assessment of water and wastewater treatment works
- Possess the skills and knowledge to identify and assess the effect of complex hydraulic phenomena such as surge, vortex, and air entrainment in the operation of water and wastewater systems
- Be familiar with the water industry regulatory framework and regulators (Environment Agency, Ofwat, DWI)
- Possess the ability to work with multidisciplinary teams, communicate own ideas, and influence decisions
- Previous experience in undertaking transient analysis and developing surge protection measures is preferable
- Ability to manage own time and junior engineers when working on multiple projects
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the newly established Engineering team who are responsible for providing technical expertise to the business. You can help shape the new engineering function and design solutions for implementation as part of a comprehensive portfolio of projects.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service, and a wider benefits scheme including our benefits hub, which is packed full of offers and information to save you money and support your wellbeing.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding, and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you'll enjoy a fulfilling career and flexible working arrangements.
We're also proud to embrace and promote diversity and believe that creating a workforce that reflects the communities we serve will help us to thrive. We encourage applications from everyone and offer extra support for those who need it throughout the recruitment process.
Find out more about working at Thames Water.
We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities, and the environment can thrive. This means, when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of Team Thames, you'll have the opportunity to sign up to support our customers on the frontline as an Ambassador. Full training will be given for what is undoubtedly an incredibly rewarding experience. It's also a great opportunity to learn more about our business, meet colleagues, and a earn bit of extra money along the way.Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can't consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.