Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes , keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing.At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open.What you'll be doing
As a Construction Engineer
, you'll ensure contractors are safely delivering the required assets on time, in quality, and at cost. You'll be involved during the design, construction, commissioning, and defects rectification period of the project: Ensuring buildability, and efficient and effective delivery whilst safeguarding our site compliance and process. Meeting regulatory and statutory requirements and maximizing benefits to Thames Water. You'll be accountable for overseeing all construction activities on your projects from conception to completion monitoring compliance with our asset standards, safety, environmental, and quality standards, and wider regulations.You'll activelypromote the Thames Water ‘Three Zeros' culture, monitoring contractor health and safety performance.Key role responsibilities include:
We're looking for you to:
- Engaging with other departments within Thames Water as project briefs are developed.
- Assisting with the assessment and appointment of contractors
- Supporting key design reviews and identifying risks and issues and working with stakeholders to resolve
- Liaising with Site Operators and contractors to approve passing through key milestones
- Focussed on the construction phase of projects; assessing and reporting project progress, acting to rectify issues, and escalating as necessary. Also ensuring all non-conformance is identified and rectified.
- Monitoring and reviewing component (FAT/SAT) testing and commissioning, ensuring all commissioning activities defined in the commissioning plan are satisfactorily completed
- Managing identification and resolution of snags before the commencement of project takeover After Take Over liaising with Operators and contractors to manage the defects process and performance testing
- Monitoring, agreeing, and approving Take Over tests
What's in it for you?Thames Water has a long-standing reputation within the UK water industry for delivering iconic and leading-edge projects. The Capital Delivery function delivers the most challenging and complex projects, and programs of work. There will be opportunities to develop and learn in this environment.
- Have an HNC or above in an appropriate engineering subject or significant experience in a similar role. For this role, a background in Mechanical, Electrical, or ICA (Instrumentation Control and Automation) Engineering is preferred.
- Have a significant Health and safety qualification (NEBOSH or IOSH General or Construction Certificate or SMSTS) or be willing to gain one.
- Be knowledgeable in the processes used in water and/or wastewater as appropriate
- Understand the development of design, construction, and operation of non-infrastructure projects
- Be self-starting, resilient, and tenacious under pressure, with a desire to successfully deliver projects on time, cost, and quality. Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, to interact with our stakeholders and contractors
- Foster a positive Health & Safety culture within the team and contractors, ensuring we fulfil environmental and Health & Safety statutory obligations
- Have a full driving license as travel will be required to construction and operational sites across the Thames Water catchment area
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service, and a wider benefits scheme including our benefits hub, which is packed full of offers and information to save you money and support your well-being. Thames Water is a dynamic,?rewarding?, and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you'll enjoy a fulfilling career and flexible working?arrangements.We're also proud to embrace and promote diversity and believe that creating a workforce that reflects the communities we serve will help us to thrive. We encourage applications from everyone and offer extra support for those who need it throughout the recruitment process. Find out more about?working at Thames Water We deliver life's essential service to our customers, communities and the environment can thrive. This means, when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of Team Thames, you'll have the opportunity to sign up to support our customers on the frontline as an Ambassador. Full training will be given for what is undoubtedly an incredibly rewarding experience. It's also a great opportunity to learn more about our business, meet colleagues and a earn bit of extra money along the way. Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can't consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.