Under general supervision of the Chief Construction Engineer, performs responsible civil, mechanical and electrical engineering work associated with the construction of public water supply and related facilities. Administers construction contracts and performs other related activities as required.
Performs responsible civil, mechanical and electrical engineering work associated with the construction of public water supply and related facilities by:
- Assisting with the planning, direction and coordination of contractors and inspectors in construction and inspection of public water supply and related facilities for conformance with approved plans, specifications and related contract documents.
- Observing the job progress of Capital Improvement Projects to assure projects conform to approved plans, specifications and contract requirements.
- Reviewing plans and specifications for constructability, including connections to the existing system and sequencing of construction to minimize inconveniences to both Fairfax Water and the public.
- Estimating construction change order cost and schedule impacts.
- Reviewing, evaluating and expediting the resolution of claims and construction problems and conflicts.
- Evaluating construction schedules and time extension claims utilizing scheduling software and time impact analysis.
- Securing all final permit releases including VDOT, County, VDH, etc.
- Assisting with the implementation of construction related safety standards.
- Investigating and resolving customer complaints concerning construction activities.
- Representing Fairfax Water at project progress and schedule meetings.
- Coordinating planned outages with other departments and Utilities.
- Assisting with final inspections of facilities and contract close-out.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.