Civil Design Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Manager
About Q6, Heathrow Airport
Our Q6 framework spans from airfield works (taxiways, runways, stands), to civils (roads, demolition works, underground and above ground structures), and MEP packages (services tunnels, lifts, life safety systems, fuel/fire mains).
The Design Engineer will perform activities related to the management of the design process in the project(s). Reporting directly to the Design Manager, the Design Engineer will work closely with the Project Manager, and liaise with the Client, Design Consultants and relevant stakeholders in all matters related to Design and Engineering.
The DE will ensure design is delivered on time and on budget, and comply with the required Quality, Health, Safety and Wellbeing, and Sustainability standards and requirements. The DE will support the DM in managing the design Contract, including design changes, risk and opportunities.
The candidate shall also be open minded and proactive to explore additional uses of the tools and technologies available in the market with the aim of bringing innovation to the project.
* Contribute to the achievement of Health and Safety targets in accordance with company policy
* Tendering design packages from project briefs received by the Client - understand scope and negotiate offers upstream and downstream
* Agree Design Responsibility Matrix with all parties with design input in the project to ensure no gaps or overlaps. Co-ordinate the design team activities to ensure that the project design is completed on budget in line with the cost plan, and on time in line with the agreed construction programme
* Monitor and track progress of the design, manage any slippages and be the interface with the management team and actively define and manage design interfaces
* Lead the review of the design with the interested parties. Promote, explore and materialise value engineering opportunities throughout the design process
* Work with the procurement team to ensure compliance with financial parameters and assist in defining scopes for subcontracting the different works packages
* Be responsible for ensuring the design complies with health, safety, environmental and quality requirements. Work with the Health and Safety, Quality and Environmental teams to support audits to Consultants
* Liaise with client representatives on the design development as required, liaise with the Engineering Services in Spain to ensure adherence to Ferrovial design processes and principles
* Assist in evidencing how Health by Design, Design for Safety and Design for Sustainability have been embedded in the design
* Review Consultants monthly Applications for payment, prepare design monthly KPI submission and meet targets
* Assist the Design Manager on the management of the design team, giving advice on appropriate resourcing levels, effective performance management, employee development and motivation
* Promote company values in all dealing with other employees, clients, subcontractors and other external contacts.
* Design Process and Contract Management
* Stakeholder relationships
* Design Compliance with Client and industry standards, requirements and regulations
* Coordination of the solutions with the Construction team
* Promote innovation, efficiencies and value engineering
Skills & Experience
* Working knowledge of BIM
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to use time productively, maximize efficiency, meet challenging work goals and take on additional responsibilities as needed, as well as determine and manage priorities with minimal guidance.
* Proactive approach to incorporate new technologies on site according to the state of the art in different stages of the project.
* Knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation
* Experience in structural design (management)
* Experience of working in cost-conscious environment and the construction indsutry
* People management skills, excellent communication skills and ability to interact at a variety of levels, excellent written and oral English language
Ferrovial embraces diversity and inclusion, and we see the value in providing equal opportunities to all employees. We are committed to building an inclusive team from a variety of different backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
Please note that this job description does not represent a comprehensive list of activities and employees may be requested to undertake other reasonable duties