Position: Senior Civil Design Engineer
Reporting to: Design Lead
Location: Bury St Edmunds
Department: Engineering Design - Capital Programme & Procurement
Employment Period: Permanent
CiP/Bonus Level: 3%
Salary: £64,497 + car + benefits
Closing Date: 05/02/2023
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
* Personal Pension Plan - Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
* Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme, tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme and season ticket loan
* Occupational Health support and Employee Assistance Programme.
* Switched On - scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products, supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres and discounted access to sports and social clubs
Production of civil designs from a scope provided by Project Managers, Customers or the Design Lead and will include project costings to customer requirements for time, quality and budget. These schemes could be for APP and/or Connections (non-contestable and contestable) works, adhering to UK Power Networks design standards.
The Senior Civil designer will liaise with the Project Manager, Electrical designer and PDC, ensuring compliance to design, CDM and relevant standards for both the regulated network solutions for all customers.
The successful applicant shall be capable of satisfying the following general requirements:
* Producing Civil and Structural Designs that can be constructed in compliance with standards and CDM requirements and produce effective designs, which conform to all relevant Codes of Practice and company and industry standards in conjunction with Electrical engineering works
* Oversee and contribute to the production of technical, commercial and contractual documents for procurement of engineering products
* Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation, regulations and company procedures.
* Compliance with design assurance and audit processes
* Supporting and mentoring Trainee/Graduate/Engineers to enhance their technical knowledge and experience.
* Comply with the requirements of the designer as determined by the CDM Regulations and fulfil the role of Principal Designer for allocated schemes.
* Provide an excellent service to the customer and work as a Team Player in a dedicated team of Designers, Estimators and Planners.
* Liaise with the operational teams to ensure a smooth process from initial enquiry through to final connection and business closure.
* Comply with the requirements of the designer as determined by the CDM Regulations
* Ensure design eliminates/reduces any hazards which may give rise to risks; and reduce risks from any remaining hazards (in conjunction with CDM) and ensure design provides sufficient information about aspects of the design of the structure or its construction or maintenance as will adequately assist clients, the CDM team, other designers and contractors.
* Collaborate with UKPN designers.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
* Civil Engineering degree with proven relevant Substation/OHL/Cable experience and aChartered engineer or working towards achieving Chartership, with Civil / structural engineering background and extensive experience in civil engineering and building works ideally within Utility sector.
* Competence in resolving civil engineering issues and ability to provide a sound understanding of company standards and policies and their application to this role. Awareness of current and technological developments in civil / structural engineering.
* Ability to work with external engineering organisations and customers/stakeholders representing UKPN to best effect.
* A good safety culture and sound understanding of Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations and their application in this role including IOSH trained.
* Ability to work unsupervised, set and comply with own targets, identify and implement innovative cost saving solutions with good team working skills
* A good level of business, environmental, safety, financial, and regulatory awareness and a general appreciation of financial reporting systems;
* Knowledge of the ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001 procedures relevant to the team's activities;
* Extensive knowledge of Microsoft desktop applications, in particular: Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint;
* Strong interpersonal skills, and be competent in written and oral communications and manage (not line manage) and communicate with the CAD team in order to produce design drawings suitable for construction.
* Experience of planning permissions and experience of site surveying and setting out and strong knowledge of AutoCAD (also Bentley software would be beneficial).
* Experience of building services
* Excellent communication and organizational skills required
* Broad knowledge of power engineering plant and equipment i.e. Transformers, Switchgear, cables, protection schemes with experience of: Roadworks, external works including drainage, building reinforced concrete foundations, superstructure including structural steel works, brick block cavity walls, different types of roofing, reinforced concrete structures.
* Input into innovative construction ideas and techniques, which feed into UK Power Networks Green Action Plan
* Capable to sign off the designs
Nature and Scope:
Largely desk based, the post also requires to be able to visit operational sites, construction sites, site meetings, manufactures meetings (at their premisses) and internal review meetings.
UK Power Networks is committed to a policy of equality in its employment practices and values a workforce that is representative of the customers we serve and the communities in which we work. We consider our people to be crucial to achieving success. We believe that it is important for our employees to strike a sensible balance between work and life outside work and will consider requests for working arrangements under the Work-Life Solutions process.
UK Power Networks is committed to securing the highest standards of health and safety at work and of care for the environment. Applicants will be expected to have an appropriate level of understanding of the arrangements for health, safety and the environment that apply to this business and are required for this vacancy.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
Employees need to be aware that for some craft and operational roles that work at height, or use fall arrest devices, there is an upper weight limit of 116Kg due to maximum safe working load of the safety equipment that is used.
If in doubt ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace