Tilbury Douglas Construction is a leading UK building, infrastructure, engineering and fit-out company. We deliver vital projects across a range of sectors including health, education, highways, justice, defence, aviation, water and environment. We are headquartered in the UK and have a workforce of circa 1,200 highly experienced colleagues.
It is our people that make Tilbury Douglas Construction a success. We believe that our inclusive culture encourages new ways of thinking, enabling us to innovate whilst maintaining our resilience. We value and celebrate all individual differences and look forward to receiving your application.
We offer a competitive salary attached to this role and a variety of company benefits also. Please see the benefits section below.
Graduate Civil Engineer
Join us in building a better future… together and be part of a reputable leading UK building, infrastructure, engineering and fit out company. These are exciting times at Tilbury Douglas, so are you ready to develop your career and be part of a valued team?
Visit our website Early Careers section for more information to help you decide if this is the career choice for you: Tilbury Douglas Early Careers
* Holds a degree in Civil Engineering (or derivative of) with a 2:2 classification or expected to achieve on graduation in 2023 (essential)
* Holds a full UK driving licence or will hold a full UK driving licence by August 2023 (essential)
Location: This role will cover water projects in the south of England. Initial office base will be Reading but site locations will vary across the south so flexibility on location is essential.
What you can bring
Experience gained from a year in industry or summer placement with a Construction or Civil Engineering Contractor (highly desirable)
Strong numeracy skills and the ability to learn sophisticated design/construction IT packages
Ability to read and understand construction drawings (with training)
Ability to write clear and precise reports and to relate complex information simply to a diverse range of people
Ability to work in a multi-functional and dynamic team environment assisting with the smooth running of a variety of projects
Self-motivated with the enthusiasm to learn and develop
Ability to take responsibility and be accountable
Attention to detail with the ability to meet deadlines
Practical and logical qualities with a methodical way of thinking
Creative and innovative approach to problem-solving
Strong communication skills
What we can offer you
* Salary £28,500 with a car allowance
* Support from our professionally qualified team to coach and mentor you, providing you with experience you need to progress to becoming a chartered engineer (ICE)
* 26 days annual leave (with the opportunity to buy or sell up to 3 days holiday)
* 3 additional long service days achieved after 3, 7 and 10 years
* Private medical insurance for yourself (with the option to buy family cover)
* Life Assurance
* Company pension scheme matched up to 8%
* 2 days volunteering opportunities
* Employee Assistance Programme which includes financial guidance and advice
* Enhanced maternity, paternity and parental leave
* Perks at Work employee discount scheme offering discounts on a range of categories such as electronics, home appliances, food & groceries, car buying, travel, fitness and more
* Flexible Benefits scheme which includes the opportunity to purchase benefits such as:
* Critical illness insurance (with option to purchase for your partner)
* Dental Insurance
* Travel insurance
* Bike to work scheme
This role is based on a construction site as part of the site management team and will support the Site Engineer with regards to security, health and safety, along with organising and supervising materials and people. You will support the Site Engineers in marking out the site, making sure designs are applied correctly and liaising with customers and smaller companies who are working with us.
What you'll be doing:
* Supporting the Site Engineers in planning and organising daily work involving:
* reading drawings
* keeping records
* following administration procedures
* monitoring quality of work delivered by sub-contractors
* Provide support with the preparation of designs, reports, specifications and other items that must be completed and delivered as required to complete successful Construction projects
* You will develop the skills to use levelling equipment and measuring devices enabling use of computer-based systems - e.g. Computer Aided Design tools and Building Information Modelling (BIM)
* Support the site team in ensuring exemplary standards of health and safety, along with ensuring the site is compliant with the company's standards for the environment and sustainability
Our Graduate Programme
Our two-year Graduate development programme will be tailored to provide you with the technical skills required to fulfil your role. We will give you responsibility in your role and as you develop, you will be given the opportunity to manage customers, colleagues and staff.
The programme will also offer a rotation scheme in your first year, whereby you will undertake placements within other functions (e.g. work winning, design, commercial, technical, buying - depending on your role) which will provide you with experience across our business and in various functions.
A key theme across our programme is your engagement with communities outside of your day-to-day working environment. While working on sites you will host visits from local schools, colleges, universities and communities. We also need you to support our work with careers events at local schools and colleges.
How do I apply?
Click Apply Now to register your details and start your application journey!
Our deadline for applications is Tuesday 31st January 2023. As our Graduate programme is incredibly popular to avoid disappointment, please get your application in as soon as possible. You will need to answer some questions so we can find out more about you and what you can bring and upload your current CV. If you successfully meet the criteria, you will be invited to the next stage of the recruitment process which will involve some online tests. The final stage of the recruitment process will be an interview along with a presentation with our hiring managers at a regional Tilbury Douglas office.
We look forward to receiving your application