We are seeking the services of a Principal Geotechnical Engineer / Engineering Geologist to work from our client's offices in Newcastle. The successful candidate will hold a key and permanent position in the team and help manage the geotechnical workload, they will also be responsible for the continued development of more junior staff and the client base.
The main purpose of the role is to assist in managing a growing geotechnical and environmental team comprising of engineering geologists, and geo-environmental and geotechnical engineers. The successful candidate should have strong varied management experience, be able to lead technical project teams, have robust technical abilities and have a strong sense of customer service. Applicants should also have experience and be willing to contribute to business development. The candidate would preferably have experience in a range of sectors, including infrastructure, industrial, residential, commercial and leisure developments, providing robust, technically sound and cost-effective solutions to Clients throughout.
* Write and check Ground Investigation Reports (GIR) and Geotechnical Design Reports (GDR).
* Design traditional shallow foundation solutions to NHBC, BS, Eurocode and other relevant standards (i.e. pad and strip, trench fill, raft etc.)
* Specify traditional ground-bearing floor slab solutions taking into consideration bearing and settlement requirements, including options to facilitate this solution such as surcharging, re-engineering of Made Ground etc.
* Recommend ground improvement options to facilitate shallow foundations and ground-bearing floor slabs (i.e. vibro stone columns, controlled modulus columns etc.)
* Design bored and driven piled foundations to British Standards and Eurocode, prepare piling specifications, specify testing to validate the installation and critically review specialist designs and proposals.
* Prepare working platform designs (i.e. for piling rigs, ground improvement rigs and cranes)
* Prepare complex coal mining risk assessments.
* Liaise with the Coal Authority, prepare grouting specifications and supervise works to consolidate mine workings.
* Undertake slope stability analysis and prepare options appraisals and detailed designs for slope remedial schemes and retaining walls.
* Prepare earthworks specifications and material management plans, supervise large earthworks schemes and validate the end product on behalf of the Client.
* Attend site and log soil and rock samples to relevant standards (experience would be preferable, but is not essential)
* Prepare remediation options appraisal, method statements and validation reports (experience would be preferable, but is not essential)
* A good working knowledge of AutoCAD, ArcGIS, RocScience (Slide, RocFall), Oasys (pDisp, Xdisp), gINT, PLAXIS and Wallap software is expected.
Qualifications / Experience:
A good degree in Earth Sciences, Geology or Civil Engineering is required. An MSc in Geotechnics or Engineering Geology or a related subject would be beneficial but is not essential. Candidates are expected to be chartered/near chartered.
For more information, please contact Sheikh Taufique at AWC Staff Services