We have a fantastic opportunity for a Principal Civil Engineer to join our Consulting Highways team. With shared office space in our Cardiff office at St Mellons Business Park and the ability to work remotely we can cater to what works best for you.
The Cardiff Highways team has a healthy pipeline of high-profile and diverse project work on the South East Wales Technical and Professional Services Framework (SEWTAPS), South West and Mid Wales Regional Civil Engineering Services Framework (SWMWRCES), South Wales Trunk Road Agency (SWTRA) and North and Mid Wales Trunk Road Agency, all with exciting roles from Project Manager through to Design Manager all with exposure to local Clients within Wales.
Our Principal Civil Engineers play an important part within the Highways and Designated Funds Design team and alongside our client, National Highways. As a Principal Civil Engineer, you will provide effective support and assistance to your Design Team Leader on a variety of highways schemes whilst taking the lead on projects and mentoring junior staff members.
Work-life balance and flexibility are key to our success. We empower our people to make choices that are right for them, with hybrid, part-time and flexible work patterns. And with a network of offices across the UK, we're open to discussing working options that suit you.
We strongly encourage the development towards a professional qualification with a recognised Institution and pride ourselves on mentoring engineers. We offer tailored support towards professional accreditation (IEng/CEng), and you will be rewarded with a bonus of up to £5k on completion.
You will be responsible for:
- Work with the Technical Director, delivering communities of practice initiatives within the local team
- Provide advice, guidance and supervision as appropriate to an internal technical team, operational managers, clients and suppliers
- Work with the Technical Director to deliver local initiatives aimed at improving the technical and professional competencies of team members
- Assume the role of people manager when required by the business
- Act as a mentor to more junior employees
- Act as engineering lead or engineering day-to-day main contact for a project where required under the terms of the commission
- Develop effective concept design solutions that are consistent with the project brief
- Undertake a wide range of design work on all aspects of the functions design and maintenance
- Implement effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements
- Progress projects through preliminary and detailed design with emphasis on client requirements and innovation
- Ensure compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations
- Supervise, mentor and developteam membersfrom technicians and graduates, through to Senior Engineers
- Assist with contract preparation together with project planning and programming
- Project administration reporting to the Project Manager including monitoring programme delivery, resources and budgets Inspection work, feasibility studies, cost estimating for works and fees
- Support the preparation of bids and delivery of services on other contracts
- Inspection work, feasibility studies, cost estimating for works and fees
- Effective management and response of project related correspondence
- Undertake site supervision duties of contractors when required
- Checks to ensure compliance with the Integrated Management Systemand assist in development
- Prepare and check of feasibi lity studies, appraisal / assessment reports and other written documents
- Development of engineering solutions and present engineeringoptions
- Complete performance appraisals with direct reports and provide learning and development opportunities wherepossible
What makes this role unique
OurHighways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.We are passionate about the highways projects that we design and take pride in seeing our towns and cities thrive by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
We have a diverse portfolio of work which will enable you to get involved in schemes from initial concept design stages through to detailed design and Construction. Our teams are currently working on several high-profile schemes within the south-west region, providing engineering services to several local authorities and leading clients including the Welsh Government.
We want to hear from you if you have:
- A high level experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, gained from a Senior Engineering role or equivalent.
- An ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements
- Experience of managing project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015
- Experience in the application of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
- Experience as engineering lead or engineering day-to-day main contact for a project where required under the terms of the commission
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in Civil Engineering
- Chartered or Incorporated status held with an appropriate professional body
- Knowledge of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
What we offer you
When you join us, we can offer flexibility, career development, a choice of benefits and support that help you through all life's ups and downs. It's the reason why Investors in People put us among the top 1% of employers and we have a competitive reward and benefits program
We embrace difference
- Career Development - Exceptional development and progression plan
- Pension - Generous Pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Choices - Our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership
- Save with Amey - Our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers
- Social Value - You'll get 2 Community Involvement Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives
- Professional Subscription-Fee funded by Amey annually
and support individuals
to work in ways that work best for them.
We are committed
to working sustainably
and by working in partnership with the communities
we serve, so people and the planet are protected.
At Amey, you have freedom to perform
because we know if nothing holds you back, together, we can be extraordinary.
Who is Amey?
- We are at the heart of modern Britain, helping the economy to grow by designing, maintaining and transforming the nation's strategic assets.
- Our 11,000 people are behind the critical services the country relies on every day.
- Our unique engineering and operations experience, together with data driven insight from our consulting business, delivers better results for our clients.
- We are trusted partners of Government - both national and local - managing assets and complex projects that are vital to the sustainable growth of the country.
To find out more take a look at our website www.amey.co.uk
Application GuidanceAmey is committed to Inclusion and Diversity
. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any access needs and reasonable adjustments that may be required at any point during the recruitment process.Apply today - We are excited to hear from you!
Position: Principal Civil Engineer - Cardiff
Job Family: Consulting
Posting advertised: 19 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2099