APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 3, 2023 at 5:00 PM PST
visit the following link to view the official posting and to apply online: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/huntingtonbeach/jobs/3817666/senior-traffic-engineer?keywords=senior%20traffic&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Note: This position is scheduled for a pay range increase to $114,878 - $153,961 annually on 2/4/2023.
In Huntington Beach, we believe passionately that the key to becoming the best beach City in the world starts and ends with finding the right people to join our team. At this time, we have an outstanding career opportunity available, as we're looking for the "right person" to serve as Senior Traffic Engineer with the Public Works Department.
The City is seeking individuals who have an unwavering commitment to team-based environment, and recognize that leaders must be focused always on serving their people. For us in Huntington Beach, successful candidates must be genuinely committed to living our organization’s behavioral values, which include:
- Humility... be willing to place the team before self.
- Exceptionality… be really (REALLY) good at what you do.
- Social Awareness… say and do those things that bring people together.
- Passion… recognize the awesome responsibility we have to serve the people of HB.
- Integrity… live our values authentically.
Outside of these behavioral characteristics, we’re also looking for candidates who are ready to grow and develop and who can envision new ways to improve and enhance services.
Public Works Department
The Public Works Department delivers a wide range of services to the public as well as other City departments. The Department is responsible for the planning, construction, operation, and maintenance of City-owned infrastructure. The infrastructure includes buildings, streets, parks, landscaping, flood control, beach facilities, and utilities. The Transportation Division provides a safe and efficient transportation system supporting vehicular, pedestrian, transit, and bicycle activity while servicing the needs of the community. Transportation oversees the design and maintenance of all traffic control devices and pole lighting on City property. Staff reviews development projects, provides advance transportation planning for both local and regional activities, and responds to public requests related to traffic concerns. The Signal and Lighting Maintenance Section provides service to all traffic signals, City streetlights, and parks and sports field lighting. The Traffic Engineering staff manage contracts for the maintenance of all required traffic delineation, signage, and pavement and curb markings. Staff provides traffic control planning services for City-sponsored special events.
The Senior Traffic Engineer plans and designs major traffic projects including installation and maintenance of traffic control equipment and conducts traffic engineering studies. The Ideal Candidate has a broad background in traffic engineering and transportation. The ideal candidate must be proactive, motivated and have the ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of the traffic engineering team. The individual should have a strong background in development review and plan checking, based in a strong, core understanding of traffic engineering and transportation planning principles and standards. The ideal candidate will also exhibit a desire to lead and develop skills in both project and personnel management. Candidates with additional expertise in traffic signal operations and systems, street lighting design, traffic safety studies and grant application development will also have ample opportunities to use those skills in collaboration with other staff.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Plans, assigns, reviews and participates in the design review, preparation and checking of plans, site investigations, cost estimates, specifications and reports for the improvement and repair of new traffic control systems and devices
- Provides guidance and direction in the design of street and highway improvement projects in relation to geometric design, signalization and alignment
- Directs the planning and designing of computerized systems for traffic control
- Oversees the activities of consulting engineering firms
- May supervise the work of assigned technical staff
- Provides professional support to higher level management at Public Works Commission meetings as required
- Operates, analyzes and upgrades the City's traffic forecast model
- Reviews and analyzes reports of traffic surveys and the operation of traffic control devices
- Makes engineering analyses of traffic flow conditions, accident locations and causes, and prepares reports and recommendations
- Reviews development plan submittals for conformance with City requirements, including the circulation element of the General Plan, design standards and development conditions
- Reviews plans and studies submitted by developers in conjunction with private property development including site, street improvements, traffic signal, signing, and striping, street lighting and traffic control
Please click here to view the full job description.
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Four (4) years related engineering experience, with two (2) years in traffic engineering or transportation planning.
License/Certifications: A valid California Class C driver license with an acceptable driving record required at time of appointment and during course of employment.
Registration in the State of California as a Professional Engineer required. If licensed in another state as a Professional Engineer, California registration must be obtained with twelve (12) months of employment.