Senior Structural Engineer
- UC Davis Medical Center
- Sacramento, California
- Salary Range: $6,750.00 - $13,383.33 Monthly
- Closing date
- Feb 25, 2023
- Structural Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Organization Type
UC Davis Medical Center
Senior Structural Engineer
For Plan Review, Seismic Safety Program Compliance, and Campus Structural Engineering Expertise
Salary Range: $6,750.00 - $13,383.33 Monthly
Final Filing Date: 02/24/2023
This position is one of the plan review staff positions on the Permits and Engineering unit and performs structural engineering plan reviews coordinated with the architectural, mechanical, and electrical engineering disciplines to ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations, by appropriate document reviews and field review as required therein for these projects. This position supports the Certified Building Official’s responsibility for ensuring that all construction projects comply with Title 24, including the administration of the functional building department, interpretation of code requirements, and direction of the code process as it applies to new and existing construction.
For projects where UC Davis Health is not the authority having jurisdiction, this position, as a member of the Certified Building Official’s staff, coordinates with other agencies that have that authority to ensure compliance with those agencies requirements and UC Davis Health standards and policies. This position works closely with the Campus Fire Marshal and the Senior Inspector Supervisor to perform plan review and field review to ensure our buildings comply with code and provide a safe environment for our staff, visitors, and patients. This position is expected to be the technical expert for structural engineering plan review and UCOP Seismic Safety Program compliance in the department and to provide structural engineering expertise for legacy and new buildings on the healthcare campus and throughout the UC Davis Health facilities program.
• License to practice structural engineering in the State of California
• Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience in structural engineering, architecture, facility design, facility planning, project management, or related fields.
• Demonstrated experience as a plans examiner or senior building inspector for commercial, industrial or medical facilities.
• Experience to manage workload and prioritize between projects in a sometimes-chaotic work environment, adapt to shifting priorities and respond to emergencies in a calm and professional manner.
• Demonstrated knowledge of local state and federal regulations including California Building Codes, Accessibility Codes, Cal OSHA, Fire Codes, Municipal Ordinances UCD Health and University regulations, policies and procedures and standards. Ability to stay current in best practices related to code compliance and health facility construction.
• A high level of understanding and skills to work with both internal and external agencies with related code and policy enforcement responsibilities like UC Davis Fire, Environmental Health & Safety, local municipalities and other state and local agencies.
• Superior oral and written communication skills. Skills to deal effectively with a broad range of individuals from construction workers to the highest levels of University’s management personnel, occasionally under stressful circumstances. Written communication skills to prepare clear, concise, and professional reports and correspondence.
• ICC (International Code Council) certification as a Plans Examiner or Certified Building Official
• Demonstrated experience working in a municipal or institutional building department as a plans examiner, counter staff, or building official.
• Experience with inspection, knowledge of project constructability and skills to anticipate problems in implementation of design when applied to field conditions. Skills to recommend alternate approaches to eliminate such problems.
• Demonstrated knowledge of hospital functions and general policies and procedures and an understanding of medical and support functions. Familiarity with OSHPD, CDPH and Joint Commission requirements.
• Demonstrated knowledge of various project delivery methods including conventional design bid build, design build, progressive design build and build to suit leased projects and the impacts these delivery methods have on the administration of plan review and permit process.
• This position may be subject to a criminal background investigation, drug screen, Live Scan fingerprinting, medical evaluation clearance, and functional capacity assessment
• The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at:
Job ID #46879
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert