Associate Civil Engineer
- City of Seattle
- Seattle, Washington State
- $46.61 - $54.40 Hourly
- Closing date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Utility Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Water, Wastewater & Stormwater Infrastructure
- Position Type
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
To Apply, please visit the following website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/jobs/3792769/associate-civil-engineer
Are you interested in working on progressive projects that support infrastructure projects in Seattle communities? Are you passionate about equitable service delivery and contributing to environmental and community-centered engineering projects? If so, Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is looking for an Associate Civil Engineer professional to join the CIP Design Section of SPU's Project Delivery and Engineering Branch. This role will support the delivery of the water capital improvement projects (CIP).
The Associate Civil Engineer position will provide and coordinate utility design with other staff and will work on moderately complex utility projects in a diverse team environment. The roles and responsibilities of this position vary based on the project and business needs. This position requires the candidate to possess a working knowledge of water system design and work both independently and collaboratively under general supervision. If this exciting opportunity interests you, please continue reading .... and APPLY!
About Seattle Public Utilities: Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), please visit:
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join us?
We know work isn't only about what you do it’s also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Hybrid work schedule opportunities
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free public transportation options
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
Here is some of what you might be doing in this role:
- Prepare moderately complex engineering designs primarily for water Capital Improvement Projects (CIP).
- Prepare reports, technical specifications, engineer's estimates, and design drawings using sound engineering principles, standard practices and procedures of civil engineering, SPU’s Design Standards and Guidelines, and Cost Estimating Guidelines.
- Provide engineering services in support of the water system during different project phases (Planning, Option Analysis, Design, and Construction phases).
- Provide input to project schedule and Project Management Plans.
- Provide construction support including reviewing submittals, attending meetings, and visiting job sites.
- Coordinate with other City departments or outside agencies related to SPU's water system.
- Conduct records research, field visits and conditional assessments of water assets.
- Work as a member of the project team, actively and effectively communicating with team members and other SPU branches, City departments, and external agencies.
- Ensure consultant water designs adhere to SPU's design standards.
- Coordinate and manage technical review comments from multi-disciplinary teams including SPU designers, SPU stakeholders (such as field operations and maintenance) and consultant designers.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience: Three (3) years of professional Civil Engineering experience.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology; (if no degree, candidate will need 4 additional years of qualifying experience).
A combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class, will be considered.
To be successful in this role, a candidate should possess some of the following technical knowledge/experience of utility design, and leadership skills/abilities:
- Proactive, responsive, flexible, organized and patient with changes and process.
- Able to listen well and work in a diverse team environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Work within the organizational framework of SPU Workplace Expectations including our values on Safety, Respect, Diversity, Trust, Humor, Productivity, Integrity, Innovation, and Partnership.
- Communicate and work effectively within a multi-cultural workforce serving a diverse customer base.
- Strong technical skills in water system design, including pipe systems (transmission and distribution system), valves, thrust restraint, and cathodic protection etc.
- Experience with seismic design using HDPE pipe, steel pipe, and ERDIP.
- Experience with water main rehabilitation with trenchless technologies such as CIPP, slip lining and horizontal directional drilling for water mains.
- Experience with AutoCAD and Civil3D.
License, Certification and Other Requirements:
- Valid Washington State Driver's License (or evidence of equivalent mobility)
- A full City of Seattle online application
- Resume, & Cover letter addressing your knowledge and experience, related to this position.
- City of Seattle COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination or qualify for a reasonable accommodation will result in withdrawal of a job offer.
Workplace Environment (*Telework Expectation):
Most work is performed in a normal City work/office environment; however, due to the ongoing pandemic and Covid-19 state and local restrictions, hybrid telework/office/field assignment work will be available until at least the fall of 2022; consistent with HR guidelines, and as circumstances dictate. We continue to seek guidance from local public health agencies and will proceed accordingly with any necessary changed or needs regarding "workplace location" expectations.
- Field assignments entail exposure to all types of weather, traffic, hazardous/toxic substances and work in or near construction sites.
- May be required to lift over 50 pounds.
- May be required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents. More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at our web page www.seattle.gov/util/.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert