Senior Civil Engineer
- City of Seattle
- Seattle, Washington State
- $57.96 - $67.49 Hourly
- Closing date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Construction Engineering, Structural Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
To apply for this job, visit the following website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/jobs/3880486/senior-civil-engineer
Are you looking for an exciting career in engineering? Enjoy leading large-scale projects and looking to use your technical skills? Seattle Public Utilities Materials Laboratory is seeking a Senior Civil Engineer. This section of SPU provides quality assurance services for construction materials on Capital Improvements for the three largest City departments. The Materials Laboratory is responsible for documentation and technical evaluation of construction materials including materials certification, submittal review, materials source approval, specifications, and the inspection of structural and fabricated elements of constructed facilities.
This position is one of two senior civil engineering positions at the Materials Laboratory. Senior civil engineers lead the engineering staff and are responsible for the technical competency of the staff, laboratory accreditation, developing materials related specifications, client service, project documentation, as well as testing and inspection services. This position requires a strong background in construction materials engineering, as well as working knowledge of materials testing and laboratory operations. Knowledge of building codes, ASTM / AASHTO standards, ACI codes, in addition to specifications will be needed. The work environment includes office, laboratory and field time. Organizational, multitasking and work prioritization skills are beneficial.
About Seattle Public Utilities: Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), please visit:
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities.
Why join us?
We know work isn't only about what you do it’s also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Hybrid work schedule opportunities
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free public transportation options
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
Here is some of what you might be doing in this role:
- Act as lead to a staff of 5 to 9 technical and professional engineers involved in the specification, approval, inspection, sampling and testing of construction materials.
- Perform complex and challenging materials testing, fabrication inspection and design recommendations in construction materials.
- Responsible for compliance with Federal and State funding requirements regarding construction materials approval, sampling, testing and documentation.
- Lead the operations of field and laboratory sampling and testing of construction materials to ensure compliance with project plans and specifications.
- Responsible for the overall technical operations of the materials engineering group including maintaining laboratory accreditation, compliance with testing standards and records and reports related to materials testing and inspection.
- Perform review and/or preparation of complex plans, specifications and quality assurance procedures related to construction materials.
- Assist supervisor on work plans and operations of unit including workload forecasting, staffing level and assignment of projects.
- Assist the overall development of special test procedures, training and quality control. Participate in selection, hiring, and training of subordinates.
- As required, may be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays. Overnight travel may be required on occasion.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Experience: Requires five (5) years professional civil engineering experience.
Education: A Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or a related field from an ABET accredited university.
Knowledge/Skills: Demonstrated knowledge of construction material engineering. Demonstrated ability to interpret complex plans and specifications. Good verbal and written communication skills. Working knowledge of ASTM, AASHTO and ACI standards as related to construction material sampling and testing. Proficiency with standard office software programs.
Combinations of appropriate education, training, certification, and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.
License, Certification and Other Requirements:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Washington.
- Current Washington State driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
Within 6 months of employment, must be able to obtain nuclear gauge operator certification and ACI certification for Concrete Field-Testing technician grade 1 and ACI Strength Testing Technician.
To be successful in this role, a candidate should possess some of the following technical knowledge/experience of utility design, and leadership skills/abilities:
- Experience working for a nationally accredited construction materials testing laboratory.
- ACI and/or WABO and WAQTC certifications in material testing or inspections.
- Demonstrated knowledge of City of Seattle Standard Specifications.
- Current HAZWOPR certification.
- Experience working with Laboratory Information Management Systems.
- A full City of Seattle online application
- Resume, & Cover letter addressing your knowledge and experience, related to this position.
City of Seattle COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination or qualify for a reasonable accommodation will result in withdrawal of a job offer.
Workplace Environment (*Telework Expectation):
This position allows for the flexibility of a hybrid work schedule. Employees will be required to come into the office twice a week. Individual schedules will be agreed upon by the employee and their supervisor.
- Field assignments entail exposure to all types of weather, traffic, hazardous/toxic substances and work in or near construction sites.
- May be required to lift over 75 pounds.
- May be required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
Benefits: The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered family-members/most-employees-plans
Who may apply: The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Learn more about Seattle Public Utilities at our web page www.seattle.gov/util/.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert