Traffic Engineering Specialist
- Lee County Department of Transportation
- Fort Myers, Florida
- $57,488.29 - $95,000.00 Annually
- Closing date
- Mar 2, 2023
- Transportation Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Staff Engineer
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
This position is responsible for identifying roadway deficiencies, conducting traffic safety and operational studies, recommending appropriate changes or remedial actions, and coordinating with staff to have recommendations implemented. Developing plans, work orders, or traffic regulation orders for installation of traffic control devices. Interacting with constituents, staff, and other agencies to identify traffic concerns and develop remedial actions. Reviewing development plans for consistency with Federal, State, and local standards. Coordinating activities between engineering staff and field staff. This position entails a wide degree of creativity and latitude in technical matters.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform Traffic investigations and studies to identify roadway safety and operational deficiencies, recommends and/or approves remedial measures.
- Develop engineering reports, plans, traffic regulation orders, and work orders for modifications to traffic control devices; and coordinate field changes with appropriate staff.
- Prepares comprehensive engineering reports of varying degrees of complexity, that will be reviewed by the County Traffic Engineer and used for justification and communication of proposed roadway improvements and/or traffic control devices.
- Utilize various engineering and technical publications provided by FDOT, FHWA, and others sources for the purpose of conducting investigations leading to written technical reports, emails, letters, or verbal communication with citizens, governmental entities or other agencies.
- Receive, review and respond to citizen requests (comments and concerns) via phone and/or email. Tasks relating to citizen requests can vary from a simple conversation to completion of a traffic study to determine the validity and feasibility of their request. Technical knowledge must be used to determine what level of investigation each request requires.
- Regularly review crash data county-wide to proactively identify crash patterns susceptible to correction through safety or operational improvements.
- Reviews and approves Maintenance of Traffic Plans for Special Event and Right-of-Way Construction Permits. Develops Maintenance of Traffic plans for County Maintenance projects.
- Assists in coordination of projects with local, state, and federal agencies, review of in-house technical staff efforts, resolution of issues during hearings or construction, and planning, construction, and design projects.
- Supervises traffic data collection staff.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Education, Experience, Licensing
- Requires any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field, and two years of closely related experience.
- Five years of experience in engineering, construction management, or related field is preferred.
- Two years supervisory/lead experience in engineering, architectural, or construction projects is preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record is required.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices related to traffic engineering, capital improvement projects, or construction management.
- Ability to prepare, review, and interpret plans and specifications.
- Ability to communicate effectively; verbally and in written form with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- The work days and hours for this position are Monday - Friday 8:00am -5:00pm.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert