Transportation Engineer Specialist
- Iowa Department of Transportation
- Ames, Iowa
- $73,569.60 - $113,152.00 Annually
- Closing date
- Mar 2, 2023
- Construction Engineering, Transportation Engineering
- Position Type
- Organization Type
$73,569.60 - $113,152.00 Annually
Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
645 Iowa Department of Transportation
3/2/2023 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact
Michael Nop, Michael.Nop@iowadot.us
- Job Description
Location: Ames, Iowa
Work Hours: Days, M-F; Flex Available
Travel: Occasional travel (overnight possible) may be required to national conferences, research workshops.
Our Core Focus:
The mission of the Iowa DOT is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfzUqeUz0A
This position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
Contributing to Our Core Focus:
The Transportation Engineer Specialist will work in a variety of civil engineering capacities within the Bureau, including:
- Developing and maintaining of design standards used by the Iowa DOT for preparation of structural plans.
- Coordinating design standard activities with other engineers in the bureau.
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of the Bridge Bureau Design Manual.
- Coordinating technical training for design staff.
- Participating on various teams making decisions that balance safety, mobility, environmental impacts, cost and long-term maintenance. In addition, will serve as a contact for industry representatives to maintain workable and efficient design procedures and specifications.
- Coordinating with other bureaus to integrate design procedures and construction details into standard practices.
- Individual must demonstrate knowledge of the AASHTO LRFD Design Specifications as well as the Iowa DOT Construction Specifications.
- Competitive pay and benefit package including health, dental, flex spending, and life insurance. https://das.iowa.gov/human-resources/employee-and-retiree-benefits/employees
- Insurance benefits start first of the month following 30 days of employment (e.g. Monthly Insurance Premium for 2023 Iowa Choice*)
- Single: $56/month employee share; $743/mo. State share
- Family: $187/month employee share; $1,687/month State share
- Other insurance options available: Please review HERE (Download PDF reader) (PDF reader)
- Opportunities for professional growth and development, including leadership training.
- Paid time off effective immediately – biweekly vacation, separate sick leave, accruals rollover on a yearly basis, and 9 paid holidays per year.
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) package with employee match.
- Optional 401A plan with employer contributions.
- Employee Discount Programs through variety of vendors (vision, cellular, fitness, recreation, season passes, travel, counseling, financial).
Licensure: Applicant must have a Professional Engineering license in Iowa at the time of appointment and is responsible for maintaining the license by meeting continuing education requirements and all other professional obligations required by the State of Iowa.
Office Culture and Benefits:
- Project schedules are based on 40-hour work week typically.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Teleworking opportunities.
- Continuing education to aid in meeting professional engineering requirements.
- Annual merit pay increases and cost of living increases are typical.
Preferred Characteristics of Candidate:
- Analyzes challenges, defines successful solution alternatives, and proactively solves problems.
- Passion and commitment to excellence in our highway structures and bridges.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and a wide variety of individuals involved in our development process.
- Ability to successfully utilize advanced software applications.
- Motivated, friendly, inclusive, and a get-it-done attitude.
- Embraces and encourages a culture that thrives on innovative ideas and leading changes that result in effective process and project improvements.
- Brings a professional positive attitude to our team every day.
Excited to pursue the next step in your career? Apply today!
If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing any screening, interviewing, pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employment selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment / devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
1) All of the following (a and b):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. Two years of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering.
2) All of the following (a, b, and c):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. One year of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering; and
c. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, structural, or transportation engineering; engineering management; or a field closely related to transportation engineering.
3) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes one year of full-time work as a Transportation Engineer.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description (Download PDF reader).
Additional Qualification Requirements
Prior to appointment, applicants must possess active licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert