Senior Civil Engineer
- City of Lafayette
- Lafayette, California
- $119,518 - $157,212 per year
- Closing date
- Mar 9, 2023
- Construction Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Water, Wastewater & Stormwater Infrastructure
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
The City of Lafayette (pop. 24,000) is recruiting for the position of an Senior Engineer. Lafayette prides itself on its vibrant downtown, beautiful tree-studded hillsides and great schools. Lafayette residents expect personalized service to deliver customized solutions to the community’s unique engineering and public works priorities. This position will be part of the team whose mission is to meet that challenge, and to ensure that Lafayette retains its semi-rural character and "small town" downtown feel.
The Engineering staff at Lafayette is a hands-on team where all members of the team are expected to be comfortable working in both the field and office. The position will include professional field and office work related to the inspection, management, planning, design, construction, and maintenance of the City’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP) for streets, drains, and walkways as well as for Parks & Recreation capital improvements and other construction projects.
This is a challenging and varied job in a great city! The new Engineer will be joining a staff of dedicated, energetic and fun professionals.
As part of the Engineering Services Department the Senior Engineer performs the following major duties:
- lans, designs, and inspects complex civil engineering construction projects.
- Reviews construction plans to verify compliance with City, State, Federal, and/or industry standards and requirements for public works infrastructure.
- Hosts public meetings for City Council-approved capital improvement projects.
- Makes presentations to commissions, committees and City Council.
- Reviews engineering calculations and participates in pre-design, construction, and utility coordination meetings.
- Provides construction administration, public relations, management, and inspection of construction projects.
- Reviews and inspects work to preserve public safety and ensure conformance with plans and specifications.
- May provide supervisory oversight to the Public Works Inspector positions.
- May assist in development review.
- May assist in the management of the City of Lafayette clean water program.
In addition to familiarity with civil engineering principles, procedures, methods, materials and techniques used in public works projects, qualified candidates should have the ability to communicate effectively with contractors and the public. An equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in civil engineering or related engineering field is required as well as five years of experience and registration as a Professional Engineer. Hands on and varied engineering work experience is highly desirable. Experience with Traffic engineering, GIS and CAD software program is also a plus.
Lafayette also provides an attractive benefits package that includes:
- A generous 401-A retirement plan with contributions up to 20% as well as City-paid social security contributions. Because the City does not participate in PERS, all vested retirement funds belong to the employee to manage as they see fit.
- City subsidizes 95% of health and dental OR receive 15% of salary 457 contribution if you have alternative health care coverage.
- Start with 11.5 days of vacation + 2 additional weeks paid executive leave for a total of more than 4 weeks vacation in Year 1. Vacation increases with tenure up to 7 weeks paid time off per year.
- Alternative work schedules (4/10 and 9/80) as well as partial remote work options available depending on work assignments.
The final filing date is February 24, 2023. To be considered, you must submit a City of Lafayette Employment Application, plus relevant materials that amplify your qualifications. You must apply online at www.lovelafayette.org/jobs. For questions, please email TRobinson@lovelafayette.org.
Following the filing date, resumes will be screened and candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to interviews in January with an anticipated start date of mid-March 2023.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert