Transportation Engineer Specialist
- Iowa Department of Transportation
- Ames, Iowa
- $73,569.60 - $113,152.00 Annually
- Closing date
- Mar 10, 2023
- Transportation Engineering
- Position Type
- Organization Type
$73,569.60 - $113,152.00 Annually
Ames - 50010 - Story County, IA
645 Iowa Department of Transportation
3/12/2023 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact
Peggi Knight - Peggi.Knight@iowadot.us
- Job Description
Work Hours: Days, Monday – Friday; Flex Available
Travel: Occasional out of state travel may be required to national conferences, research workshops, and project locations. In-state travel can be expected to visit project locations.
Our Core Focus:
The mission of the Iowa DOT is Making Lives Better Through Transportation. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for making that mission a reality every single day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXfzUqeUz0A
This position will demonstrate actions and behaviors guided by the DOT’s five CORE values: Safety First, People Matter, Customer Focused, Servant Leadership, and Integrity Without Exception.
Iowa DOT Research’s mission is to Drive a quality program that delivers targeted solutions for Iowa's transportation future.
This Research Implementation and Marketing Programs Manager will work in the Research and Analytics Bureau and will primarily identify and coordinate implementation of promising local, state, regional and national transportation research, innovation and technology advancements. This position also manages research marketing and ideation for Iowa DOT Research. This includes working with a variety of stakeholders involved in research including those representing advanced transportation systems, structures, pavements, geotechnical, maintenance, transportation facility design, safety, materials, and other related subjects. The position reports to the Research and Analytics Bureau Director and works in a team environment with those in the research section.
The successful candidate will work with others to formulate implementation, deployment, technology transfer, marketing and communication efforts of research solutions that result in significant, yet practical improvements to the transportation system.
What we offer YOU:
- Competitive pay and benefit package including health, dental, flex spending, and life insurance. https://das.iowa.gov/human-resources/employee-and-retiree-benefits/employees
- Insurance benefits start first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Other insurance options available: Please review HERE (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader) (PDF reader)
- Opportunities for professional growth and development, including leadership training.
- Paid time off effective immediately – biweekly vacation, separate sick leave, accruals rollover on a yearly basis, and 9 paid holidays per year.
- Iowa Public Employee Retirement System (IPERS) package with employee match.
- Optional 401A plan with employer contributions.
- Employee Discount Programs through variety of vendors (vision, cellular, fitness, recreation, season passes, travel, counseling, financial).
- Licensure: Applicant must have a Professional Engineering license in Iowa at the time of appointment and is responsible for maintaining the license by meeting continuing education requirements and all other professional obligations required by the State of Iowa.
Office Culture and Benefits:
- Project schedules are based on 40-hour work week typically.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Teleworking opportunities.
- Continuing education to aid in meeting professional engineering requirements.
- Annual merit pay increases and cost of living increases are typical.
- Preferred Characteristics of Candidate:
- Analyzes challenges, defines successful solution alternatives, and proactively solves problems.
- Passion and commitment to excellence in serving research program stakeholders.
- Effectively communicates with all levels of management and a wide variety of individuals involved in our development process.
- Motivated, friendly, inclusive, and a get-it-done attitude.
- Embraces and encourages a culture that thrives on innovative ideas and leading changes that result in effective process and project improvements.
- The ability to complete assignments independently with little instruction and supervision.
- The ability to work with people from various transportation entities and viewpoints to formulate a research program that contributes to the Iowa DOT goals and missions.
- Work in a team concept cooperatively with stakeholders internal and external to the agency.
- Strong organization and project and program management skills.
- Strong writing and speaking skills.
- Valid driver license to travel to project sites located around the State of Iowa and the Midwest region.
- If you require a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the following email: email@example.com
Reasonable accommodation such as: interpreter, translator, written materials, modified equipment / devices, ADA access, etc. This does not include scheduling needs.
Applicants must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements to qualify for positions in this job classification:
1) All of the following (a and b):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. Two years of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering.2) All of the following (a, b, and c):
a. Licensure as a professional engineer; and
b. One year of full-time professional work experience in transportation engineering or civil engineering; and
c. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in chemical, civil, construction, environmental, materials, structural, or transportation engineering; engineering management; or a field closely related to transportation engineering.3) Current, continuous experience in the state executive branch that includes one year of full-time work as a Transportation Engineer.
For additional information, please click on this link to view the job description (Download PDF reader).
Prior to appointment, applicants must possess active licensure as a professional engineer by the Iowa Engineering & Land Surveying Examining Board.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert