Deputy Public Works Director
- Lafayette, Colorado
- $123,000 - $185,000
- Closing date
- Apr 5, 2023
- Transportation Engineering, Utility Engineering, Water, Wastewater & Stormwater Infrastructure
- Position Type
- Division / Department Head
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
The City of Lafayette is seeking a Deputy Public Works Director to lead its newly expanded Engineering and Capital Projects Division, and directly oversee the department’s engineering, capital planning, and capital improvements functions.
Reporting to and in collaboration with the Public Works Director, the Deputy Public Works Director develops the overall strategy and direction for the division including:
- actively supporting project identification and prioritization,
- overseeing and supporting infrastructure assessment and planning efforts,
- developing and implementing the capital improvements program,
- developing and overseeing the recommended division budget and coordinating with financial staff on funding strategies to fund capital projects, and
- supporting the development of rates and fees for the City’s utility enterprise funds.
As a member of the Public Works leadership team, the Deputy Director:
- creates and supports a culture of continuous improvement, monitoring projects and keeping the Director apprised of emerging trends and issues,
- leads, supports, and develops a team of senior-level engineers with specialties in water and wastewater, transportation and traffic, stormwater and flood management, and development review and project management,
- coordinates and collaborates with other divisions and departments on engineering and technical matters, and
- represents the City and department in coordination with regulatory and governmental agencies including Boulder County, Colorado Department of Transportation, Mile High Flood District, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Denver Regional Council of Governments, and other local governments.
The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable of Public Works operations and infrastructure and will be an adept project manager with the ability to successfully juggle competing interests, manage crossover between initiatives, delegate effectively, and deliver projects to completion. Importantly, they will value communication, organizational development, process improvement, and collaboration in a dynamic environment populated with talented professionals.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience, including at least three years leading engineering and project management teams, is required. Experience in municipal government including engineering, planning, development review, permitting, and financial functions is ideal. Demonstrated leadership qualities including the ability to lead, manage, and organize work teams is essential, as is the ability to manage multiple competing priorities. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with the public and other staff tactfully and effectively, and make effective presentations is required. Bilingual Spanish is beneficial.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or directly related field required; master’s degree in public administration or related field preferred. Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado, or the ability to acquire through reciprocity desired. A valid driver’s license, acceptable motor vehicle record, and satisfactory criminal history record are required.
Compensation and Benefits
The annual salary range for the Deputy Public Works Director is $123,000 - $185,000, with an anticipated hiring range of $145,000 - $165,000 depending on the qualifications of the successful candidate. The City provides a comprehensive and generous benefits package including:
- 100% City-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401A Retirement Plan (10.2% City, 8% Employee, 100% vested upon hire)
- Life Insurance (one year’s salary up to $150,000. AD&D coverage in equal amount)
- 100% City-paid Short-term and Long-term Disability coverage
- Tuition Assistance (up to $5,000 per year for approved expenses)
- Generous Paid Leave
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Employee Assistance Program
- Bilingual Pay
- Deferred Compensation and Roth Retirement Savings Options
- Voluntary Life Insurance/AD&D
- Identity Theft Program
- City/Employee Voluntarily Funded Hardship Fund
- Recreation Center Pass
- Wellness Punch Card (100 punches per year for employee & family use at golf course, waterpark, etc.)
Full details and additional information can be found here.
How to Apply
The City of Lafayette is committed to maintaining a highly qualified workforce that delivers essential services to our residents. Applications will be accepted electronically by Raftelis at raftelis.hire.trakstar.com. Applicants complete a brief online form and are prompted to provide a cover letter and resume. The position is open until filled with a first review of applications beginning April 3, 2023.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert