- Atkins Nuclear Secured
- Oak Ridge, Tennessee - REMOTE
- Competitive Salary Offers
- Closing date
- Apr 12, 2023
- Structural Engineering
- Position Type
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
Structural Engineer - Remote
Why join us?
We are hiring! Atkins Nuclear Secured is actively seeking qualified professionals to support engineering roles for Nuclear New Build Projects in North America. The Structural Engineer is an integral part of our Nuclear Team. This position is based out of Oak Ridge, TN, and remote is an option for this position.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Perform conceptual, preliminary, and detailed design of Civil/Structural systems including definition of functional and performance requirements, environmental and seismic qualification.
- Perform assessments for various types of Civil structures and produce related documentation including assessment documents, calculations, technical specifications, etc.
- Prepare, review and /or update Civil engineering design documents including, Design Description, Civil/Structural and Architectural Drawings, BOMs together with the supporting analysis / assessment documents (e.g., Seismic Margin Assessment, Dynamic Analysis etc.).
- Conduct Civil/Structural Design Assessments for adequacy to applicable design basis documentation (Safety Assessment Report, Margin Assessment etc.) and US / Canadian Nuclear Regulatory Codes and Standards.
- Interface with various engineering disciplines, suppliers, and other functional divisions of the company.
- Provide responses to technical enquiries from design review teams and regulatory agencies.
- Provide technical support to engineering stakeholders at site.
- Apply sound engineering principles to resolve technical issues and provide technical guidance to junior staff.
- Comply with applicable QA procedures and ensure the quality, consistency, accuracy, and completeness of engineering deliverables/task within specified timelines and budgets.
- Ensure the adequacy of design for permits and compliance with approved plans.
- Attend site meetings and perform walk-downs for data collection, inspections, condition assessment and configuration management as required.
- Prepare/review analysis and design of steel/concrete/masonry structures for new build and refurbishment of nuclear power plant.
- Prepares and reviews plant configuration packages in accordance with plant procedures.
- Support plant emergent issues, equivalency evaluations and Commercial Grade Dedication plans.
- Travel to client site is required.
- All other duties as assigned.
What will you contribute?
- Requires a Civil Engineering Degree from an accredited University with at least 8 years of structural analysis and design experience in steel, concrete, and masonry structures in the power generation industry.
- Nuclear industry experience a plus.
- Registered/Licensed professional engineer in the US and/or Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario with good standing, a plus.
- Proven experience preparing and reviewing technical reports, write-ups, and engineering estimates.
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering gained through a combination of design-office and site experience.
- Experience in developing seismic spectra and seismic margin assessment is an asset.
- Experience in ASME Section III NF pipe support analysis and design is an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of Codes and standards used in Civil/Structural engineering such as IBC, ACI, AISC, and ASCE codes.
- CSA Nuclear standards, A23, S16 NBCC knowledge, a plus
- Good understanding of CNSC and NRC requirements and interface is an asset.
- In depth knowledge of civil/structural Analysis software commonly used in Civil/Structural engineering such as ANSYS, StaadPro, SAP2000, ETABS, SAFE, MathCAD etc.
- Solid experience with dynamic and seismic analysis of structures and foundations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Results driven individual with strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be a U.S. citizen to be considered.
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, submit your resume today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert