Construction Engineer - Major Projects
- Thames Water
- Closing date
- Mar 24, 2023
- Construction Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Staff Engineer
- Organization Type
Who are we?Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes , keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing.At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open.What you'll be doingAs a Construction Engineer, you'll ensure contractors are safely delivering the required assets on time, in quality, and at cost. You'll be involved during the design, construction, commissioning, and defects rectification period of the project: Ensuring buildability, and efficient and effective delivery whilst safeguarding our site compliance and process. Meeting regulatory and statutory requirements and maximizing benefits to Thames Water. You'll be accountable for overseeing all construction activities on your projects from conception to completion monitoring compliance with our asset standards, safety, environmental, and quality standards, and wider regulations.You'll activelypromote the Thames Water ‘Three Zeros' culture, monitoring contractor health and safety performance.Key role responsibilities include:
- Engaging with other departments within Thames Water as project briefs are developed.
- Assisting with the assessment and appointment of contractors
- Supporting key design reviews and identifying risks and issues and working with stakeholders to resolve
- Liaising with Site Operators and contractors to approve passing through key milestones
- Focussed on the construction phase of projects; assessing and reporting project progress, acting to rectify issues, and escalating as necessary. Also ensuring all non-conformance is identified and rectified.
- Monitoring and reviewing component (FAT/SAT) testing and commissioning, ensuring all commissioning activities defined in the commissioning plan are satisfactorily completed
- Managing identification and resolution of snags before the commencement of project takeover After Take Over liaising with Operators and contractors to manage the defects process and performance testing
- Monitoring, agreeing, and approving Take Over tests
- Have an HNC or above in an appropriate engineering subject or significant experience in a similar role. For this role, a background in Mechanical, Electrical, or ICA (Instrumentation Control and Automation) Engineering is preferred.
- Have a significant Health and safety qualification (NEBOSH or IOSH General or Construction Certificate or SMSTS) or be willing to gain one.
- Be knowledgeable in the processes used in water and/or wastewater as appropriate
- Understand the development of design, construction, and operation of non-infrastructure projects
- Be self-starting, resilient, and tenacious under pressure, with a desire to successfully deliver projects on time, cost, and quality. Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, to interact with our stakeholders and contractors
- Foster a positive Health & Safety culture within the team and contractors, ensuring we fulfil environmental and Health & Safety statutory obligations
- Have a full driving license as travel will be required to construction and operational sites across the Thames Water catchment area
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert