Senior Stormwater Engineer
- City of Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Closing date
- Apr 20, 2023
- Water, Wastewater & Stormwater Infrastructure
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Organization Type
The City of Virginia Beach is recruiting for an Engineer III to support the Development Services Center. The Development Services Center is in the business of guiding and assisting its customers through the land development process. The City of Virginia Beach is the largest in Virginia with a population of approximately 450,000 residents. The city has a vibrant beach resort and town center area.
Duties of this position include:
Review site development plans, subdivision construction plans and as-built surveys, plats, legal documents and cost estimates for conformance with City and State regulations, codes and policies;
Primarily responsible for reviewing and analyzing complex stormwater management plans, drainage and grading, street improvements and other public and private infrastructure;
Drafting comments explaining required plan revisions to plan preparers; approving development plans and associated engineering calculations and reports;
Position requires site visits to trouble shoot, compare plans with field conditions, and help resolve construction issues;
Must assist customers in professional manner in person, by phone and e-mail, and participate in project meetings and staff team meetings to coordinate reviews;
Provide technical response to citizens inquiries concerning development projects;
Virginia DEQ certifications as a Stormwater and E&S Reviewer required within one year of employment;
Review, coordinate, and respond to questions related to complex stormwater management modeling design, specifically related to the City’s Master Drainage Study which uses SWMM modeling soft ware;
Must have an understanding of local and state stormwater management regulations to be able to assist in creating and implementing City policies and procedures;
Must be knowledgeable of hydrologic and hydraulic stormwater computations and stormwater Management routing calculations;
Will supervise Engineering Technician positions assigned to team and provide advisory assistance to other engineers
Official City Job Description:
MINIMUMS: Requires a Bachelors Degree from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) approved engineering or engineering technology program with possession of a Professional Engineer (P.E.) license from the Virginia Board of Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers and Landscape Architects (APELSCIDLA) and five (5) years of progressive professional experience, OR, an Associates Degree in Engineering with seven (7) years of progressive professional experience and a possession of a Professional Engineer (P.E.) license from the Virginia Board of Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers and Landscape Architects (APELSCIDLA). SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies.
DMV Transcript: Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Physical: Not Required
Respirator: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Attachments Required: Resume
Strong preference for a Degree in Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology. Experience in Land Development site plan or subdivision plan design or review. Knowledge and skills in stormwater management, open channel and piped drainage systems, hydrology, and hydraulics. Experience with stormwater modeling software (specifically SWMM) or other stormwater design software. Design or review of streets, pavement design, site grading, water, and sewer systems. Familiarity with state and local design resource manuals and local code of ordinances related to stormwater management and land development design. DEQ stormwater or E&S Reviewer Certification. Provide excellent written, verbal, and people skills.
• Please provide a cover letter along with your complete job application which must include your job or
college education and experience in any aspects of land development, open channel and piped drainage
system design and stormwater management. Virginia DEQ certifications as a stormwater and E and S Reviewer required within one year of employment.
• The City of Virginia Beach offers a comprehensive benefit package, which includes eligibility for hiring
bonuses, 14 holidays, and paternity, maternity, and parental leave.
• Hybrid in-office and telework flexibility.
- Please complete the application in its entirety. The application is the primary required document used to screen qualifications and years of experience. A resume does not replace a completed application. Fields on the application left blank, including but not limited to job duties, dates of employment, and hours worked, may cause your application to be incomplete.
- You will not be able to access the details of this job ad once the closing date has passed. If you would like to retain this information, please take a screen shot or print using your browser's printing capability.
- Your responses to any "Supplemental Questions", if attached to this requisition, must be supported by the information you give us in the work experience section of this application. Be sure you are thorough in describing your skills and duties as you complete the work experience section. If the information cannot be verified you will not receive credit.
- Please provide a copy of any certifications or related professional licenses.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.
Drug Free Workplace: The City of Virginia Beach maintains a drug free workplace.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert