Senior Engineer III - Stormwater Specialist
- Fairfax County Government
- Fairfax, Virginia
- $75,669.98 - $126,116.85 Annually
- Closing date
- Apr 28, 2023
- Environmental Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
Fairfax County boasts a top-notch school system, safe neighborhoods, thousands of acres of parkland, and bustling town centers. County government sits at the heart of this dynamic community of almost 1.2 million residents and seeks employees eager to bring their energy, enthusiasm and skills to serve Fairfax residents and to shape the county's future. Land Development Services (LDS) is the steward of the county's land development and building construction codes and regulations, and its staff members embrace their essential role as "first preventers." Every day, through careful review, permitting and inspection of site and building construction, our staff protect the health, safety, welfare, and environment for those who live in, work in, and visit Fairfax County. Our department also serves as the gateway to much of the county's economic development, reviewing over 30,000 building and site plan submissions, issuing nearly 70,000 building permits, and conducting over 220,000 building and site inspections each year. If you would like to join a creative, collaborative, innovative team doing meaningful work, then LDS is the place for you.
Under the supervision of the branch chief, Site Development and Inspections Division (SDID), serves as Stormwater Specialist for review of the stormwater design for complex development applications.
Further duties include:
- Responsible for advanced level review and approval of various applications to ensure compliance with state and local codes, regulations and policies and good engineering practice related to Resource Protection Area (RPA), Floodplain regulations drainage and stormwater management.
- Provides timely resolution of design and construction issues in collaboration with others.
- Provides expert opinion on stormwater management-related matters (including floodplain and RPA).
- Collaborates with other agencies.
- Coordinates with site inspectors during plan review and construction.
- Researches and prepares special engineering studies and reports pertaining to stormwater management facilities and code amendments.
- Reviews, comments, and proposes stormwater-related amendments to codes, ordinances, and the PFM.
- Prepares and presents complex reports to the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission and various authorities and committees.
Note: Multiple positions may be hired from this announcement.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following:
(Click on the aforementioned link to learn how Fairfax County interprets equivalencies for “Any combination, experience, and training equivalent to”)
Graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; Plus Four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Driver's License (Required)
- Professional Engineer - PE or Registered Architect - RA
- DEQ Stormwater Management Plan Reviewer certification - completion of first required training class within 12 months of hire and certification required within 12 months of date of completion of first required class.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- Strong knowledge of land development processes, stormwater regulations and construction techniques used in site development particularly in Northern Virginia.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects involving RPA and floodplain, solution-oriented and decisive.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible professional experience in the civil engineering field, particularly having to do with Stormwater Management.
- Five or more years of full-time experience and knowledge in the local government regulatory environment.
Ability to operate keyboard driven equipment. Ability to be mobile in order to visit inspection sites, to include traversing through rough and uneven terrain. All duties are performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include practical exercise.
The population of Fairfax County is very diverse where 39.8% of residents speak a language other than English at home (Spanish, Asian/Pacific Islander, Indo-European, and others) and we encourage candidates bilingual in English and a foreign language to apply to this opportunity.
Fairfax County Government prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. DHREmployment@fairfaxcounty.gov EEO/AA/TTY.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert