Assistant City Manager
- City of Des Moines
- Des Moines, Iowa
- $150,000 to $210,000
- Closing date
- Apr 28, 2023
- Construction Engineering, Planning & Development, Structural Engineering
- Position Type
- Executive / President / CEO, Manager / Leader
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
Assistant City Manager Brochure - PWs, Eng, Pwks 2023.pdf (revize.com)
Under the direction of the City Manager, coordinates activities of the City, develops and administers policies, programs and projects, and generally assists the City Manager in the conduct of the City’s operations and performs related work as directed. The Assistant City Manager may be named acting City Manager in the absence of the City Manager and Deputy City Manager.
The City of Des Moines promotes a healthy work life balance and offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
Alternative Work Arrangements
Vacation and Sick Leave Accruals
12 Paid Holidays
Tuition Reimbursement Program
Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Benefit
Iowa Public Employees Retirement System (IPERS)
Deferred Compensation Plan matching up to 2.5%
Deadline: Application review will begin April 24, 2023. Applications are accepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the position.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
The City of Des Moines' Residency Requirement is in effect for this position. Applicant must be a resident of the City of Des Moines within seven months of appointment date and maintain residency within the City of Des Moines while employed in this position.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in Public Administration or closely related field; and
- Substantial experience in management functions within a municipality; or a comparable public or private organization; and
- Considerable experience with funding, design, construction, operations and maintenance of municipal infrastructure; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen;
- Possession of valid Iowa Driver’s License or evidence of equivalent mobility.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Manages the activities of assigned City operations as assigned by the City Manager.
- Oversees the departments of Public Works, Engineering, and Parks and Recreation.
- Serves as the lead contact for water trails, redevelopment of DICO superfund site, and infrastructure grant funding;
- Assists the City Manager with strategic planning for short and long term needs;
- Supervision of assigned City staff.
- Works with City staff to develop programs and operational efficiencies.
- Analyses current or potential City operations and recommends appropriate courses of action to the City Manager.
- Assists in the development of the City’s annual operating and capital budgets.
- Assists the City Manager in the development or revision of City Administrative policies.
- Provides follow-up and coordinates City Council referrals and special projects.
- Assists in the development of oral and written reports to the City Council.
- Represents the City Manager in interactions with elected and appointed state and local government officials, business owners and managers, employees citizens and others.
- Responds to written and verbal citizen complaints, inquiries and requests for service.
- Appears before groups and organizations as the City representative to explain activities, programs and policies.
- Supports the City’s Mission/Vision/Values by personal example and encourages other staff to do so.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert