RESPEC, is a 100-percent employee-owned engineering consulting company that provides a variety of engineering services in several different fields – Mining, Water and Natural Resources, Data, and Infrastructure. We are seeking a Civil Engineering intern for the Summer of 2023 to join our Utilities team in our office located in Juneau, Alaska!
Working at RESPEC means working on world-class projects in your own backyard. You will use state-of-the-art technologies and collaborate with experienced teams to bring innovative ideas to life. This position offers a great career opportunity for a dynamic, energetic individual who wants to develop professionally.
This hands-on design position is within RESPEC’s Juneau Utility Sector which is a leader in civil engineering design services in Juneau, AK. Our civil engineering interns will work alongside our firm’s full-time employees to learn how professional services are provided to our clients in the form of land development, infrastructure design, construction document preparation, stormwater management, water, and sewer utility design, sediment and erosion control, and traffic control. The primary responsibilities include supporting our civil engineering staff and field construction inspectors in support of design and construction projects. Our experienced staff will provide mentoring and coaching to our interns to allow development of civil engineering skills and knowledge. Interns will get exposed to our clients, job sites, small Southeast AK communities as well as collaborate with local architects and our RESPEC multi discipline team on public and private sector clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides broad support to the RESPEC Alaska-based Facilities team
- Assists staff in collecting and preparing information for various projects
- Assists team in developing design concepts
- Assists team in preparation of design deliverables
- Prepares CAD designs and produces plans and renderings
- Conducts field work, and collects data on existing conditions
- Conducts support functions as needed, such as data entry and file management
As a student intern we at RESPEC understand that you are still developing your skills and learning what specific engineering disciplines do. RESPEC has a specific companywide intern program where interns from all over our company offices get to know each other and get a firm understanding of what a Civil Engineer does. However, ideal skills may include:
- Solid time management skills and ability to produce accurate, high-quality work in an efficient manner
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Interest in designing various kinds of civil engineering features (roads, underground water/sewer utilities, site grading, paving, storm drainage)
- Good working knowledge of fundamental of civil engineering concepts
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Strong problem solving and math skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Experience with reading, analyzing, and interpreting plan sets
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently
- Team player who strives to provide quality work
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office (e.g., Word, Excel)
- Desirable: some proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D
- US work authorization is required
Work Schedule: During the summer months; 40 hours/week. Work during the school year may be possible by mutual agreement.
Compensation: This is a temporary, non-exempt part-time hourly position with overtime eligibility. Respec will pay for various certifications and educational training to assist in advancing the interns knowledge.
Office Location: Fairbanks, AK
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Interviews: Interviews are by appointment only.
RESPEC is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based on age, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, disability, or any other legally protected factor. We celebrate diversity, equality, and inclusivity. We know that a diverse workforce cultivates unique perspectives, and unique perspectives inform remarkable solutions. To achieve these solutions, RESPEC remains focused on creating a culture that embraces differences. Please apply online at: https://respeccareers.applytojob.com/apply/sPkbhcqnPT/Student-Civil-Engineering-Intern
Preemployment background check and drug screens are required for all positions.