County Traffic Engineer
- Lee County Department of Transportation
- Fort Myers, Florida
- $76,083.16 - $152,030.70
- Closing date
- Apr 30, 2023
- Transportation Engineering
- Position Type
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
This is a professional position responsible for the planning, operation, and evaluation of Lee County roadway network and program enhancements. Responsible for managerial and administrative functions of the Engineering Services section of Lee County Department of Transportation. This position acts as the Department of Transportation's primary representative for allegations and represents Lee County in Court as a professional engineer. Develops priorities for the implementation of roadway, traffic signal, and traffic system improvements. Directs a staff of professional and technical employees in the planning, coordination, and administration required to effectively manage and lead DOT staff regarding the maintenance and operation of Lee County roadways.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops priorities for the development, planning and implementation of roadway, traffic signal, and traffic system improvements.
- Responsible for conducting and supervising studies for identifying traffic safety and operation problems and develops remedial actions for identified safety and congestion problems.
- Develops, approves, signs, and seals traffic studies for changes in traffic control devices and regulations.
- Approves, signs, and seals revisions to the operations of traffic signals.
- Represents LC DOT at various countywide committees, such as, CTST, TMOC, BPCC, etc.
- Responsible for the management of traffic volume data collection, road traffic condition data, and development of the annual traffic count report.
- Reviews construction plans for traffic safety and operational considerations, including pedestrian, bicycle, and motor vehicles accommodations and consistency with Federal, State, and local standards for traffic control devices.
- Interacts with constituents, staff, and other agencies to identify concerns and develops remedial actions.
- Works with programs offered through federal and state grants, enforcing, and implementing policies and procedures.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Education, Experience, Licensing
- Requires any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year university or college with a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, or closely related field and three years engineering, or closely related experience to include one year of supervisory experience.
- Possession of a current Professional Engineering License with the ability to obtain a Professional Engineering License in the state of Florida within six (six) months of hire date is required.
- Possession of a Professional Traffic Operations Engineer (PTOE) license is preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record is required.
- This position requires some field work including traffic observations and evaluation of existing roadway conditions.
- Working knowledge of Florida Department of Transportation standard specifications and design standards is desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in written form with various levels of employees and constituents.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office products.
- The work days and hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert