Area Construction Engineer (Senior Engineer)
- City of Wichita
- Wichita, Kansas
- $69,248.00 - $121,581.00
- Closing date
- Jun 2, 2023
- Construction Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Organization Type
Distinguishing Features of Work
This is professional civil engineering work directing and supervising the management of municipal infrastructure construction projects. Responsibilities include the supervision, planning and direction of Project Engineers, Construction Inspectors and Survey Crews, and coordination of testing construction materials. This position confers with the Construction Manager, Design Engineer and other departmental officials in resolving civil engineering problems. The Area Construction Engineer ensures projects are built in accordance with plans, and specifications by facilitating communication among citizens, consultants, contractors, State and Federal agencies, utility companies and suppliers of materials and equipment.
Examples of Work Performed
- Oversees all aspects of municipal infrastructure construction projects
- Makes periodic inspections of all projects under construction to ensure they are built in accordance with plans, specifications, City standards, and policies.
- Supervises, plans, and directs the work of Project Engineer(s), Construction Inspectors, and Survey Crews.
- Supervises construction staking crews for assurance of meeting accepted standards and practices.
- Coordinates testing of all construction materials, including concrete, asphalt, aggregate, and other materials for conformity with design and specifications.
- Confers with the Construction Manager, Design Engineer, and other departmental officials in resolving civil engineering problems.
- Reviews daily reports and technical data covering the construction of projects.
- Facilitates communication among citizens, consultants, contractors, State and Federal agencies, utility companies, and suppliers of materials and equipment.
- Ensures conformity of construction work with plans, specifications, standards, and policies and assists in resolving construction problems.
- Approves quantities of items used for partial and final payments to contractors.
- Ensure conformance with all State and Federal aid requirements, including but not limited to the Davis-Bacon Act, DBE goals, materials certifications, etc.
- Completion of work assignments may require operation of a vehicle.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive. Other related duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work
- Considerable knowledge of current standards, practices, and recent developments in the field of civil engineering.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal infrastructure construction.
- Considerable knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to municipal construction.
- Ability to use a computer to access, interpret, and record information
- Ability to organize and direct working details of municipal construction projects
- Ability to evaluate and resolve unusual construction problems.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret engineering plans and drawings.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lean and reach as needed to read and interpret plans and specifications from a print that may be as large as 36 by 48 inches with information printed as small as 20 characters per inch
- Ability to occasionally traverse uneven terrain, climb steps or ladders, and tolerate airborne environmental nuisances associated with construction sites.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees of other Departments, representatives of other organizations, and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas driver's license.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training
Graduation from a four-year college with a degree in civil or mechanical engineering, with a preference for the civil discipline, is required. Preference for persons with progressively responsible experience with municipal engineering projects, including supervisory experience, and registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Kansas. Candidates without a PE License will be considered, but pursuit and attainment of the PE will be required within the first two years of employment. An equivalent combination of education, experience and training may be considered. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check. Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.
Supporting Documents for Area Construction Engineer (Senior Engineer)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert