Senior Engineer – Utility Systems Planning
- City of Wichita
- Wichita, Kansas
- $69,248.00 - $121,581.00
- Closing date
- Jun 2, 2023
- Utility Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Organization Type
Distinguishing Features of Work This is professional civil engineering work directing the planning, design, control, and construction of major engineering projects, most specifically related to water and sewer infrastructure, treatment plants and associated facilities. The position oversees the daily work of the Utility System Planning group in the Engineering Division. Work is directed and reviewed through the establishment of goals and subsequent evaluation of progress toward goal attainment. Examples of Work Performed
- Supervises and manages the work of engineers and technicians within the Utility System Planning group, as part of the Engineering Division.
- Plans, directs, and schedules Capital Improvement Program (CIP) budgets for water and sewer infrastructure, treatment plants and related improvements.
- Works with Division and Department management to develop long-term goals and plans.
- Directs, coordinates and reviews professional consulting firms' work in the preparation of feasibility studies, plans, specifications and cost estimates.
- Performs and oversees difficult design, inspection work and special studies.
- Assists in preparing specifications, estimates, and contract terms; reports on contract performance.
- Writes Proposals for Utility Projects and facilitates Staff Screening and Selection meetings and interviews
- Confers with citizens, developers, consulting engineers, contractors, public service organizations and appraisers to achieve work objectives.
- Prepares and presents studies, plans, cost estimates and recommendations.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to citizen groups, boards, and commissions.
- Completion of work assignments will require the operation of a vehicle.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, particularly water and sewer vertical asset design, construction, and maintenance
- Considerable knowledge of federal and state regulations and recent developments in the field of civil engineering
- Skill in performing technical research work and advising on complex problems
- Ability to use a computer to develop and use spreadsheets involving complex mathematical and statistical operations
- Ability to plan, coordinate, control, monitor and schedule projects
- Ability to organize and evaluate engineering data and to present findings and recommendations clearly to staff, consultants, commission, boards and the public
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees of other Departments, and representatives of outside agencies
Required Experience and Training Graduation from a four-year college with a degree in civil or mechanical engineering, plus four years of progressively responsible experience in the design and construction of municipal engineering projects, including supervisory and project management experience, and registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Kansas. An equivalent combination of education, experience and training may be considered. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check. Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert