Senior Civil Engineer
- Golden Gate Bridge
- San Francisco, California
- $146,286.40 - $177,798.40 Annually
- Closing date
- Jun 4, 2023
- Construction Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Organization Type
Under general direction, performs responsible professional level engineering and administrative work in connection with a wide variety of engineering projects. May lead professional and paraprofessional engineering personnel engaged in the planning, design, and construction phases of engineering projects. Assist Directing Civil Engineer in training and providing guidance to Junior through Associate Engineer classifications and Inspector classifications. Responsibilities include: developing, coordinating and executing engineering methods and policies affecting a wide range of engineering activities; regular contact with professional engineering consultants, governmental agencies, involved communities and contractors in connection with complex and difficult engineering matters; overall oversight and review of detailed and complex engineering calculations, plans, specifications and technical papers; and performs related duties as required.
- Prepares reports, calculations, design plans, specifications, schedules, cost estimates and other materials related to the planning, design and construction phases of engineering projects and refers them to their supervisor for final approval
- Prepares and refers to the District Engineer or designee, contract documents and agreements for the planning, design and construction phases of engineering projects with professional engineering consultants, contractors, utilities and governmental agencies
- Confers with other departments and agencies relative to engineering projects and work programs to ensure proper coordination of all related activities and responsibilities
- Makes field trips and inspections to resolve serious differences of opinion between engineers and contractors' representatives as they relate to design matters
- Conducts and attends conferences and meetings in connection with planning and design of improvement and construction projects
- Ability to use computers including proficiency with spreadsheets
- Prepares and leads the preparation of a variety of engineering calculations, data and reports in connection with planning, development, and construction of projects
- Makes oral presentations
- Regular and reliable attendance and performance
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field
- Five years' progressively responsible experience in design, estimating, specification preparation, contract preparation, related phases of engineering and inspection of construction projects.
- Experience as a lead engineer desirable.
Required Licenses and/or Certification:
- Registration (P.E. license) as a Civil Engineer in the state of California. Must have a PE license as a Civil Engineer for at least 5 years.
- Must possess and maintain a current and satisfactory driving record. No reckless driving and DUI within the last 7 years. No more than 2 moving violations within the last 3 years. Operates District vehicles on a regular basis.
Must inspect construction work on the Golden Gate Bridge, other structures and buildings, climb scaffolds, catwalks and ladders. Work from heights. Work outside in all weather conditions. Work over water. Carry harness and test or inspection equipment. Occasionally enter into trenches and other excavations. Vision to read printed materials and a computer screen.
Hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Routine use of computer, telephone and other office equipment. Ability to travel to District facilities.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of:
- Modern engineering methods and techniques and the strengths and uses of construction materials
- Engineering features of design and construction problems
- Various phases of transportation engineering and systems planning
- Transportation economics and finances
- Factors which influence the impact of transportation facilities on the environment, the community and the economy
- Principles and techniques of administration, personnel management and supervision
Skill in Ability to:
- Originate, prepare and check: calculations, designs, details, cost estimates, plans, specifications and contract documents
- Meet and consult with professional engineering personnel and public, private and community officials on engineering problems
- Plan and direct the work of others, judge work quality and performance
- Prepare technical correspondence and complete comprehensive reports
- Prepare articles for publication and address audiences effectively
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert