Senior Project Engineer
- Town of Palm Beach
- West Palm Beach, Florida
- $88,792.93 - $142,137.95 Annually
- Closing date
- Jun 5, 2023
- Construction Engineering, Water, Wastewater & Stormwater Infrastructure, Other
- Position Type
- Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
General Statement of Job
The Town of Palm Beach is an internationally acclaimed destination known worldwide for its extraordinary beauty, small-town charm, and exceptional service standards. Our residents are some of the world's most influential people and they choose Palm Beach to call home because of the amazing quality of life. The Town is seeking a key position to perpetuate its values, of excellence and reliability in this one-of-a-kind setting.
Do you share these values? Are you ready for the challenge? Come be part of our team!
The Town of Palm Beach employees are driven by the vision to deliver the highest quality service by continuously improving and always striving to be the standard by which all others are measured. The employees of the Town commit to and are guided by the following values:
• Respect for everyone;
• Highest ethical standards;
• Cooperation and teamwork;
• Commitment to quality;
• Spirit of innovation;
• Open and timely communication; and
• Personal responsibility and accountability.
If you share these values, apply to join our team. Public Works exists to create and maintain an attractive, safe, pleasing, and clean environment for the citizens of Palm Beach and an efficient, effective environment for all of the employees who serve this community by applying systems and techniques that provide for excellent operation, maintenance, and repair of public buildings and grounds, continuous upgrading of general infrastructure, coastal protection, engineering and construction services.
This is varied technical and skilled, professional engineering work, exhibited by those with a broad scope of coastal and/or capital improvements experience and practice, performed under general supervision. Duties range from implementing, managing, and directing a wide variety of coastal- related projects including shore protection, erosion control, and beach nourishment to managing planning, design, and construction of a wide variety of capital improvement projects. Duties involve responsible performance of routine and complex assignments and varied professional engineering tasks requiring a high level of expertise; supervision of staff, exercise of individual initiative, independent judgment, and acquired skills, and contact with the public, general contractors, engineering consultants, architects, and regulatory agencies.
This Department will be undergoing an employee retirement transition over the coming two to three years and this position has been one targeted for further career growth within the Town.
- Reviews design, arithmetic computations, specification documents, and other engineering documents or deliverables relative to coastal and municipal engineering projects.
- Develops, implements, and administers coastal projects.
- Coordinates budgeting and payments for coastal engineering design, construction, and other related costs to projects.
- Designs and manages estuarine, restoration/enhancement projects including environmental permitting and development of construction plans and specifications.
- Oversees the maintenance of Town record drawings by obtaining record drawing from contractors and consultants.
- Contracts and reviews engineering surveys, including beach profiles.
- Meets with the public and gives information relative to various department and town engineering activities; resolves complaints when necessary.
- Meets with and assists other Town departments and Public Works divisions.
- Responsible for the supervision of assigned staff including delegation, coaching, counseling, performance management, evaluations, and disciplinary actions within the scope of authority.
- Responsible for development of statements of work and request for qualifications for contracting consultant services.
- Responsible for reviewing plans, specifications, and bids, writing correspondence to contractors, architects, engineers; provides contract administration on behalf of the Town.
- Responsible for compiling documents for bidding services for construction contract selection and award.
- Manages electronic files associated with projects, including purchase orders, invoices, requisitions, plans, drawings and reports.
- Performs engineering observations and writes reports for Town construction projects.
- Performs as project manager over consultants and contractors in association with coastal and Public Works projects and programs.
- Provides consultative advice to staff project engineers and construction projects as needed.
- Performs as Project Manager over medium to large scale Capital Improvement Projects.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in the field of coastal or civil engineering required.
- Seven years of engineering experience, some of which involves managing and overseeing coastal and/or capital improvement construction projects, required.
- Previous municipal experience preferred.
- Coastal engineering and/or management of coastal or restoration projects preferred.
- Must possess a Florida Professional Engineers License or Professional Engineers License from another state with the ability to obtain a Florida Professional Engineers License within six months from hire.
- Membership in the Florida Engineering Society (FES), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), American Public Works Association (APWA) or other local or national organization related to Engineering or Public Works preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of construction methods and techniques with respect to paving, drainage, water, and sewer projects.
- Knowledge of the principles of coastal management.
- Advance knowledge of project management standards and the demonstrated ability to apply them.
- Knowledge of coastal federal, state, and local regulations and environmental critieria.
- Possess high level of expertise displaying an ability to effectively communicate with contractors and the public.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert