Engineer II - Stormwater Review
- City of Colorado Springs
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- $6,853.01 - $8,226.90 Monthly
- Closing date
- May 31, 2023
- Water, Wastewater & Stormwater Infrastructure
- Position Type
- Engineer, Staff Engineer
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
In this position, you will review submitted drainage documents for adherence to applicable codes, policies, criteria, and regulations; assist with design and coordination of a variety of engineering projects for the Public Works Department/Stormwater Enterprise; and participate in drainage basin studies.
Essential Job Functions- the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Review and approve drainage reports, grading/erosion control plans, and construction plan reviews for compliance with City codes, policies, standards, and drainage criteria
- Conduct construction plan and development plan reviews to ensure compliance with professional and technical guidelines
- Prepare detailed comments for applicants and provide technical assistance with corrections
- Respond to questions and inquiries from the public, contractors, and developers
- Ensure project compliance with diverse and complex regulations, standards, and procedures for federal, state, and local government during the review and implementation of stormwater capital projects
- Interact with City and Colorado Springs Utilities departments
- Review other City projects and operations for compliance with stormwater and environmental regulatory programs; recommend and coordinate modifications to projects as needed
- Participate in drainage basin planning studies such as storm sewers, channels, bridges, and detention ponds
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- Professional civil engineering principles, practices, and methods related to stormwater management, hydrology and hydraulics
- Pertinent federal, state, and local codes, laws, and regulations governing one or more of the following: Environmental Protection Agency MS4 (Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System), City drainage criteria, Pikes Peak Regional Floodplain Management, and Army Corps of Engineers
- Methods and techniques of engineering plan design, review, and approval
- Principles of business letter writing and technical report preparation
- Erosion control and Best Management Practices
- Construction management principles
- Concepts related to City's Four Step Process, full-spectrum detention, and low-impact development techniques
- Drainage basin planning
- Provide technical training to lower-level engineering staff
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
Successful candidates will have
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in civil engineering or a related engineering field
- Three years of full-time professional engineering experience in area related to assignment
- Possess and maintain a valid, non-probationary Colorado driver's license not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges
Ideal candidates will also have
- Experience reviewing drainage plans and reports
- Experience in stormwater management, hydrology and hydraulics
- Experience in civil engineering with a focus on water resources
The City of Colorado Springs offers additional compensation depending on the position, area of assignment, and specific job assignments, including shift differential, pay differential, acting or lead, special assignment, hazard pay, longevity, cell phone allowance, uniform allowance, relocation, awards, standby, call out, compensatory time off, tuition, overtime, extra duty, incentive, holiday premium, proficiency, and vacation sell back.
NOTE: This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply to Join Our Team
- Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
The City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, can be found on the website.
You can view the status of your application here.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Colorado Springs is committed to a culture that values our employees’ unique individual qualities and fosters an inclusive environment where people want to be.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert