Assistant Town Engineer
- Gilbert, Arizona (US)
- $101,992.52 up to 163,188.03 plus benefits
- Closing date
- Jun 2, 2023
- Transportation Engineering, Utility Engineering, Water, Wastewater & Stormwater Infrastructure
- Position Type
- Manager / Leader
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
The Town of Gilbert is seeking a proactive and customer-service focused engineering professional to fill a newly created Assistant Town Engineer position. This position reports directly to the Town Engineer and will oversee planning, collaborate, and review designs along with review and oversight on the construction of public and private infrastructure projects. This position performs highly technical engineering activities, and will work with other Town departments, outside agencies, and citizens regarding engineering, construction, and related activities. This position also manages and supervises highly skilled and technical professional staff members.
Gilbert has a history of rapid population growth and a commensurate demand for public works and private development projects. This position represents a great opportunity to make a difference in a dynamic community and engineering office.
Top candidates will be seasoned engineers with a broad and diverse background in public infrastructure. They will have a record of success communicating and coordinating with stakeholders in project needs assessments, prioritization, and all stages of implementation. They will be effective relationship builders: strong communicators verbally, in writing and listening. This individual will be involved in and lead making presentations for internal and external stakeholders, leaders, elected officials and the public. They will be a team player who is committed to the development and success of their staff members. They are at ease working in politically charged situations, maintain relationships while working through conflict, and stay even keeled in pressure-filled situations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervises technical professional staff to deliver on the Town's obligation for public infrastructure.
- Responsible to communicate with Town staff, management, Town Council, engineers, architects, and contractors to educate and advocate for the Town's public infrastructure.
- Provide support and subject matter expertise for complex development and capital projects.
- Assist and acts as Town Engineer as delegated.
- Develops budget for Section, submits funding requests and makes presentations to management and Town Council.
- May review design plans for proposed improvement projects
- Other duties as assigned.
You are a highly skilled professional with knowledge of:
- High level of engineering knowledge and judgment regarding water, wastewater and environmental compliance issues and requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of laws governing operations and maintenance of public works infrastructure in the State of Arizona.
- Managerial principles, practices, and techniques.
- Public administration principles and practices.
- Applicable Federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations and/or ordinances.
- Policy and procedure development practices.
- Applicable theories and principles related to area of assignment.
- Principles and practices of grant and/or contract administration.
...and you are skilled in:
- Managing, monitoring, and evaluating staff.
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, codes, regulations, and standards.
- Managing staff and/or program(s).
- Developing and managing a budget.
- Planning tactical and operational activities.
- Executing policies and procedures.
- Utilizing extensive engineering experience and judgement to guide and inform the making of sound decisions.
- Written and verbal communication regarding technical and complex engineering concepts and ability to present in a way that can be understood by others who are not experts in those areas.
At Team Gilbert, we hire innovative, forward-thinking problem-solvers who love what they do! In addition to possessing the ability to live out our values daily, candidates must possess the following requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
- 8 -10 years of increasingly responsible experience in a variety of technical civil infrastructure projects.
- Experience in all aspects of the planning, design and construction of municipal public works infrastructure is critical.
- 4 years of experience in management of technical staff.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Arizona Professional Engineer (PE). (Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona Professional Engineer license or be able to obtain one through reciprocity with another state, within the first six months of employment, with preference given to Civil Engineering.
- Arizona Driver's License.
This position is an At-Will position and is FLSA Exempt – ineligible for overtime compensation.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert