THE CITY OF SANTA MARIA UTILITIES DEPARTMENT INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF SENIOR CIVIL ENGINEER: $100,879 -$122,619 Annually
This recruitment will remain open until filled.
A first review of applications will occur on May 30, 2023, for first consideration submit applications by this date.
The Utilities Department is responsible for providing water, wastewater treatment, sewer collection, refuse collection, and disposal services to Santa Maria. The Mission Statement of the Utilities Department is to provide efficient utility services through the use of progressive innovation, excellent customer service, and the wise use of public resources for the long-term benefit of the community.
This recruitment will be to establish an eligibility list for current, and future vacancies. Current opportunities exist in the Water Resources Division and the Solid Waste Division.
The City of Santa Maria is a full-service city with a Council/Manager form of government with over 700 employees and serves approximately 108,000 constituents. The City is located on the beautiful central coast of California and covers over 23 square miles. The community is a harmonious balance of coastal and agricultural lands while promoting business. Santa Maria has been recognized nationally as an All-America City by the National Civic League and offers reasonably priced housing, community festivals, quality schools, cultural arts, a local airport, wineries, and higher education institutions and is near locally accessible beaches.
The Utilities Department is seeking up to two (2) experienced Senior Civil Engineers to manage and deliver various capital construction projects in Solid Waste and Water Resources. In Solid Waste, this includes projects related to expansion of the existing Santa Maria Regional Landfill site and construction of the future landfill site at Los Flores. In Water Resources, this includes projects related to increasing water and sewer infrastructure capacity, and the future construction and commissioning of the new wastewater treatment plant facility. Civil Engineers with experience in managing and delivering projects with a background in the design and/or construction of water distribution systems, sewer collections systems, wastewater treatment plants, and/or landfill design are highly encouraged to apply for this opportunity. The eligibility list established through this recruitment may also be used by the Public Works Department.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION
SENIOR CIVIL ENGINEER
Positions assigned to Solid Waste may be responsible for:
- Preparing and/or reviewing technical designs and calculations associated with operations to ensure compliance with engineering and regulatory standards.
- Coordinating capital construction design, estimates, and construction schedules to comply with regulations and permit requirements.
- Planning, organizing, and supervising on-site contractors.
- Researching and preparing technical reports.
- Responding to regulatory agency citations and inquiries.
Positions assigned to Water Resources may be responsible for:
- Planning and analyzing technical designs and calculations involving utilities.
- Providing technical guidance, training, and work supervision for technical and professional staff.
- Assisting in the development of long-range plans to assure adequate capacities and reliability related to utilities infrastructure.
- Preparing plans, specifications, and cost estimates for construction projects.
- Assembling feasibility and economic studies of alternative plans.
- Developing material and equipment standards and specifications, and operating and maintenance procedures for projects and programs.
- Performing load studies and preparing forecasts for system planning and budget preparation.
- Responding to regulatory agency citations and inquiries.
- Ideally, three years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the field of civil or mechanical engineering or a closely related field; and
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in civil or mechanical engineering or a related field is required; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- For assignment to the Solid Waste Division, one year of recent engineering experience in solid waste management or in the design, construction, maintenance, or operation of a landfill site is desired.
- For assignment to the Water Resources Division, one year of recent engineering experience in water resources management or in the design, construction, or operation of a water distribution system and/or wastewater treatment plant is desired.
- Current technical/professional knowledge of complex principles, methods, standards and techniques associated with the scope of work of a recognized profession, such as:
- Engineering design, construction practices, drafting, inspection, and surveying.
- Physics, chemistry, and mathematics as applied to civil or mechanical engineering.
- Street maintenance.
- Local, State, and Federal regulations pertaining to the construction, operation, and environmental management for landfills.
- Applicable Local, State, and Federal regulations.
- Project management and budgeting.
- Effective supervision.
- Safety precautions and procedures.
- Effective verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Microsoft Office Suite (or equivalent).
- Effective us of computer and other office equipment.
- Possession of licenses and/or certificates associated with the assignment, such as:
- Valid certificate of registration as a Civil Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, or Geologist issued by the State Board of Registration for Civil, Geologist, and Professional Engineers.
- Registration as a Licensed Land Surveyor is desired.
- For assignment to Solid Waste, a valid certificate of Manager of Landfill Operations (MOLO) issued by SWANA is desired.
- For assignment to Traffic/Transportation, a valid certificate of registration as a Traffic Engineer is desired.
Incumbents should have a solid foundation of Individual Contributor core competencies identified by the organization, as well as the following core competencies identified as essential for Front-line Supervisor (click the hyper link to see the full definition Front Line Supervisor Competencies):
- Assertiveness - Effective performers are self-confident, readily offer options and take action, and challenge others when appropriate. They trust their judgment.
- Conflict Management - Effective performers recognize that conflict can be a valuable part of the decision-making process. They support and manage differences of opinion and use consensus and collaboration to resolve issues.
- High Standards - Effective performers model professional standards, pay attention to detail, continually seek to improve processes, hold staff accountable, and find best practices.
- Informal Communication - Effective performers clearly and articulately convey information to others. They accurately interpret and understand nonverbal cues.
- Positive Impact - Effective performers make positive impressions on those around them. They are personable, self-confident, optimistic, enthusiastic, and generally likable.
- Delegation - Effective performers willingly entrust work to others, provide clear guidelines, provide challenging assignments, and empower others.
- Active Listening - Effective performers offer their full attention when others speak, actively listen, and demonstrate verbal and nonverbal listening cues to ensure understanding.
- Team Management - Effective performers select and build effective work groups, understand the human dynamics of team foundation, and create and maintain functional teams. They formulate team roles, provide guidance, and reward team behavior.
- Influence - Effective performers are skilled at directing, persuading, and motivating others. They establish a personal power base built on mutual trust, fairness, and honesty, and flex their style to direct, collaborate, or empower others.
The completed electronic application packet will include the online application and electronic attachments of a cover letter and resume.
Application, including cover letter and resume, will be evaluated and scored. Candidates' final score and rank on the eligibility list will be determined by their complete application packet upon meeting the employment standards of the position.
Departmental selection interviews with the hiring department will be scheduled once a candidate has been certified to the Eligibility List.
Agency City of Santa Maria Address 110 East Cook Street, Room 1
Santa Maria, California, 93454 Phone 805-925-0951 ext. 2203 Website http://www.cityofsantamaria.org