Senior Structural Engineer
Locations: Chicago, IL; Chantilly, VA; Remote
Preferred: Chicago, IL
Exp Federal is an established Chicago-based full-service architectural and engineering firm that provides a full range of exceptional design solutions and construction support to the federal government. Our team of professionals operates in some of the most challenging environments to provide support services to a variety of governmental agencies globally.
We are seeking a Senior Structural Engineer to join our growing team. Ideal candidates are independent thinkers, self-motivated, communicate proactively, and enjoy collaborating with other disciplines throughout the design process.
Principal Areas of Responsibility
- Lead in the development of technical documentation, specification, drawings, requisitions, proposals, and presentations to federal clients.
- Perform project and construction administration as either project manager or structural lead.
- Project management shall include project labor force estimates, project communications, budget monitoring, and inputs, organizing deliverables, and setting project standards for delivery.
- Engineering shall include responsibility for the project engineering of projects from concept and schematic design through construction documents to construction and commissioning.
- Evaluate the work of technical staff and provides feedback based on client needs.
- Approve the discipline and layout design criteria documents.
- Assist the Marketing Team with solicitations.
- Support the Business Development, including write-up of key aspects of projects and preparing fee estimates and assumptions for a particular discipline on potential projects.
- Foster a commitment to external and internal client service
- Research information to assist designers in the selection and specification of materials, products, and equipment.
- Responsible for reviewing contract solicitation documents.
- Oversee and/or conduct existing condition surveys of structural systems to determine engineering strategies for renovation, and to document and evaluate existing systems.
- Perform a structural assessment of existing buildings based on historical documents.
- Bachelor of Science (required) and Master of Science (preferred) in Civil/Structural Engineering from an ABET-accredited university.
- 10-15 years of relevant experience.
- Licensed PE required / SE preferred.
- NCEES record in order to obtain PE in other states.
- Familiarity with the Whole Building Design Guide, Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC), and Unified Facilities Guide Specifications (UFGS) is strongly preferred.
- Proficient with building and design codes (IBC, ASCE, ACI, AISC, etc.)
- Past DOD and federal work with experience in Blast Design and Progressive Collapse desired.
- Experience with the Design-Build project approach preferred.
- Proficiency in Revit and AutoCAD required.
- Perform advanced structural analysis modeling on finite element-based programs.
- Experience with structural systems, including but not limited to, the design of steel, reinforced concrete, masonry, cold-formed, and PEMB structures, as well as general construction practices.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work collaboratively on multiple projects.
- Self-motivated, detail-orientated, client-focused, and positive team player.
- Ability to travel (including abroad) for projects required.
- U.S. citizen and able to obtain a secret clearance.
- Excellent safety awareness
More About Us:
exp Federal delivers full-service Architectural & Engineering and Design-Build solutions. You will be part of an expanding team that works collaboratively across our wider exp Federal design studios. As part of a project team, you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects that keep you engaged and showcase your individual talents. We believe in identifying potential in people and then providing opportunities to achieve success.
Our employees work on complex projects that require innovative, efficient solutions, and collaboration across various disciplines. Joining our team is a commitment to meaningful work supporting federal government clients across multiple sectors. Employees and clients alike will look to you for results that exceed their expectations.
Respect: We respect people, honor diversity, and treat each other fairly. These are the cornerstones of our culture and the key to our culture and the key to our ability to work successfully as a global team.
Unquestioned Integrity: We operate with the highest standards of honesty and responsibility – as individuals and as a corporation. We’re people who meet routine, everyday obligations with honesty.
Safety: We place the highest priority on the health and safety of our employees and protection of our assets and the environment. Our goal is zero work-related injuries.
Customer Service: We listen and respond to the changing needs of our customers, the industry, and the environment, and draw upon lessons learned from our experiences around the world.
Impeccable Quality: We recognize that quality is fundamental in all our operations — it is everyone’s responsibility. We have established procedures, assessments, and continuous improvement processes in place to ensure the quality of our work.
Sustainability: We understand the impact of our work on the environment and that sustainability is a part of everything we do. We work with customers to provide responsible, efficient, healthy, and effective project solutions to reduce our overall environmental impact.
What We Offer:
- ⌚ Exponential full-time professional growth and development
- ⏩ Fast-paced and professional work culture
- ⚕ ️Health insurance including medical, dental, and vision
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Savings Account options
- Company HSA funding contributions
- 📜 Company-sponsored Long-Term Disability, Short-Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- 💰 401(k) employer match up to 4%
- 🏋 ️Wellness reimbursement on fitness memberships and other qualified programs
- 🅿️ Pre-tax funds on qualified transportation and parking expenses
- 🏫 Learning & Development tuition reimbursement
- 📅️ Flexible work schedules
- 🏖️ Generous PTO policy
What Happens Next?
Our Talent Engagement Team will contact you via email to let you know what next steps at exp Federal look like for you! Make sure to check your spam. Don’t worry, if you are not selected to move forward in the interview process, we will keep your resume on file for future opportunities you may be a better fit for.
*Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location. This may be different in other locations due to differences in the cost of labor.
exp Federal is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave, Sexual Orientation, and Gender Identity or Expression