- City of Santa Monica
- Santa Monica, California
- Closing date
- Jun 21, 2023
- Construction Engineering
- Position Type
- Organization Type
Civil Engineer - City of Santa Monica
$119,124.00 - $147,072.00 Annually
City of Santa Monica, CA
6/20/2023 5:30 PM Pacific
• Performs professional engineering and project and construction management work. Plans and coordinates the work of assigned staff.
• The City of Santa Monica is seeking an experienced Civil Engineer. The ideal candidate should have experience in construction management or project design management of Public Works infrastructure projects; able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and have negotiation skills.
Note: Duties may vary depending upon assignment.
• Oversees and coordinates the work of professional and paraprofessional staff engaged in the performance of a variety of public works engineering projects.
• Prepares, reviews and approves the design, survey, supporting calculations, plans, specifications, and cost estimates for a wide variety of engineering projects, including but not limited to sewers, storm drains, water mains, water treatment and distribution facilities, wastewater collection, pumping, and treatment, recycled water treatment and distribution, groundwater and wells, roadway reconstruction, subdivisions, retaining walls, structures, street lighting and fiber optic networks.
• Performs project and construction management work.
• Prepares engineering project scopes of work and cost estimate reports. Assesses feasibility of proposed designs.
• Interacts with representatives of City divisions and departments, outside agencies, local interest and community groups and the general public to review, respond and resolve project issues, problems and inquiries.
• Performs project management through all phases of a Capital Improvement Project, Project Development, • Preliminary Design, Design, Construction and Installation, Commissioning and Close-Out. Oversees and reviews consultants' designs and specifications and manages project engineering records. Monitors contractors' progress during construction and ensures that complete and accurate as-built records are prepared and obtained.
• Negotiates with contractors and consultants regarding field change order requests for compliance with contract documents.
• Monitors projects, budgets and account balances. Recommends budget strategies for funding engineering and utility projects.
• Prepares grant applications and ensures compliance with grant guidelines.
• Visits construction sites to evaluate projects and contracts in progress and ensure compliance with plans, specifications and safety standards.
• Prepares, reviews and evaluates bid documents and requests for proposals. Prepares staff reports.
• Develops and/or manages the development of asset management plans, multi-year utility replacement programs. Performs and/or manages assessments for existing water resource infrastructures and facilities.
• Performs other related duties, as assigned.
• Principles and practices of engineering design and survey.
• Construction methods and techniques, including scheduling and phasing. Principles of funding strategies.
• Project management techniques.
• Governmental processes related to bidding, design and construction. Applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances. Safety standards and safe work practices.
• Water distribution systems
• Wastewater collection systems
• Recycled water systems
• Water/wastewater treatment processes.
• Groundwater and wells
• Basic supervisory principles and practices.
• Effective training and coordinating techniques.
• Effective customer service techniques.
Plan, lead and coordinate the work of others.
Read, interpret and check engineering drawings and designs, specifications, traffic control plans and cost estimates. Understand potential construction litigation and represent the City in claim disputes.
Utilize computer programs to perform calculations and operate Computer Aided Drafting Software.
Use supervisory control and data acquisition systems to monitor and control water/wastewater facilities.
Identify the need for change orders and evaluate the financial status of projects.
Prepare construction phasing plans.
Manage multiple assignments and meet strict deadlines.
Interpret and apply policies and regulations.
Analyze problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations.
Make sound business decisions.
Provide effective customer service.
Establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with City
Project design and construction management.
Managing consultant staff and professional service agreements.
Preparing and presenting clear and concise oral and written reports and recommendations. Using personal computers and applicable software applications.
Communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
Education, Training and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
Four years of recent, paid and progressively responsible work experience in civil engineering, including two years as a professional civil engineer. Two years of recent work experience in municipal engineering and project management is desirable.
Licenses and Certificates:
Possession of a valid class C driver license. Registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California. Water and/or wastewater certifications for the State of California are desirable.
How to Apply:Applicants must submit a clear, concise, completed on-line City Application along with any required supplemental application materials with the Human Resources Department by the filing deadline. If you do not submit your on-line application by the filing deadline, you will not be considered for this position. Please note, applications may be rejected if incomplete. Resumes, CVs and cover letters are not reviewed as part of the application screening process.
employees and the public.
If you would like for your education to be considered, you must attach a copy of your college level transcripts or diploma to your online application. Applicants who indicate receipt of college level coursework or degree from a foreign institution must provide United States credential equivalency verification along with a copy of your college diploma/transcripts. All materials must be received in the Human Resources Department no later than the filing deadline. Failure to do so will result in your application being evaluated without the education being considered.
All applicants must submit clear, concise and complete information regarding your work history and qualifications for the position. All applicants will be reviewed and only those applicants determined to be most qualified on the basis of experience, training and education, as submitted, will be invited to participate further in the selection process.
Testing may consist of a combination of any of the following:
Training and Experience Evaluation - 100% Oral Interview
If three or more qualified City employees apply and pass the examination, a promotional list will be established in addition to an open-competitive list. If fewer than three qualified City employees pass the examination, the appointing authority, in accordance with the City's civil service rules and regulations, can decline to use a promotional list, in which case a promotional list will not be established for this position.
Candidates who have successfully completed all prior phases of the selection process will be subject to a thorough background investigation.
Inclusion & Diversity Statement
The City of Santa Monica is a progressive, inclusive and culturally rich community. As leaders in public service, we strive to be an employer of choice by attracting and retaining a highly talented workforce where people of diverse races, religions, cultures and lifestyles thrive. Our goal is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment where our staff are empowered to perform at their highest level and where their differences make a positive impact.
The City is an equal opportunity employer and strives to build balanced teams from all walks of life without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state and/or local law. We aim to create a workplace that celebrates and embraces the diversity of our employees. Join us!
Special assistance with the application and examination process is available, upon request, for persons with disabilities. Call (310) 458-8246, TDD (310) 458-8696 (Hearing Impaired Only).
Please note the request for reasonable accommodations must be made to Human Resources at least three work days prior to the examination.
City of Santa Monica
1685 Main Street, Room 101 P.O. Box 2200
Santa Monica, California, 90401 Website
Civil Engineer Supplemental Questionnaire
*) Describe in detail the nature and extent of your involvement with two (2) recent complex projects related to construction management or design management. Please include the following in corresponding bullet format: a. Project title, project description, employer at the time, your role and specific dates
b. The dollar amount of the project phases (e.g., feasibility, design, construction, etc.)
c. The techniques you used to stay on schedule and within budget
d. Discuss your notable accomplishments, input received on the project and any challenges encountered
e. Your specific involvement in coordinating activities of customers, internal employees, public committees, neighborhood organizations, local residents, consultants, contractors and outside agencies
f. Describe your role and tasks managing grants for the project and any Caltrans permit involvement if applicable If you have no such experience, mark N/A.
Describe your recent experience with computers and software applications in the course of your work experience. In your response, include the types of software applications you have used and the projects for which you have used these applications. If you have no such experience, mark N/A.
Briefly describe your experience working with internal teams, external teams (contractors, designers, permitting
agencies) and customers, or clients. If you have no such experience, mark N/A.
This position requires a Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field. Do you meet this requirement?
If YES, you must attach a copy of your college-level transcripts or degree copy to your online application. Applicants who indicate receipt of college-level coursework from a foreign institution must provide United States credential equivalency verification along with a copy of your transcripts. All materials must be received in the Human Resources Department no later than close of business on the application closing date. Failure to do so will result in your application being disqualified.
This position requires that you are a registered Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California. Do you meet this requirement?
If YES, you must attach a copy of your certification to your online application. All materials must be received in the Human Resources Department no later than close of business on the application closing date. Failure to do so will result in your application being disqualified.
5/22/23, 8:12 AM Job Bulletin
How/Where did you hear about this job opportunity? Please include any websites and/or associations where you may have seen the job posting.
* Required Question
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert