- General Services Administration
- Various Locations - Portland (OR), Seattle (WA), Spokane (WA), Tacoma (WA)
- $98,496 - $142,408 per year
- Closing date
- Jun 7, 2023
- Construction Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Structural Engineering
- Position Type
- Engineer, Staff Engineer, Senior Engineer
- Contract Type
- Organization Type
APPLY AT: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/727873100
As a Civil Engineer, you will assure that existing and new Federal facilities, whether leased or owned, protect the lives and welfare of Federal employees and the general public to the greatest extent possible.
Location of position: Public Buildings Service, Design and Construction Division, in Region 10.
Open & Closing Dates: 05/23/2023 to 06/07/2023
Salary: $98,496 - $142,408 per year
Pay Scale & Grade: GS-13
Remote Job: No
Telework eligible: Yes - as determined by agency policy
Duty location to be determined at time of selection. We are currently filling one vacancy, but additional vacancies may be filled as needed.
- Acts as the Government’s Authority for Structural Engineering to assure that existing and new Federal facilities, whether leased or owned, protect the lives and welfare of Federal employees and the general public to the greatest extent possible. Ensures that structural engineering aspects of all projects meet governing criteria. Independently designs or checks/validates the designs of consulting engineers, for extensive and complex structures that must withstand a variety of environmental and manmade forces with particular attention to seismic and blast safety.
- Acts as the regional expert on seismic engineering, design and analysis. Evaluates the anticipated seismic performance of GSA owned facilities within the region and makes recommendations as needed to prioritize seismic upgrades or facility disposition. Evaluates the anticipated seismic performance of GSA leased facilities and determines compliance with Federal seismic guidelines.
- Acts as regional expert on structural elements of interagency security criteria integration. Evaluates proposed designs and leased facilities for compliance with GSA blast requirements.
- Acts as the regional expert on structural progressive collapse. Evaluates proposed designs and leased facilities for compliance with GSA progressive collapse requirements.
- Serves as GSA's Project Manager on selected studies and projects within the region where structural expertise is integral to successful study or project success.
- Actively advances GSA’s structural priorities through participation in national code writing organizations. Serves as a technical expert on selected GSA national guideline development committees.
- Acts as the structural expert on the regional disaster response and continuation of operations team
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ENGINEERS: A Degree in professional engineering OR a combination of college-level education, training, and/or technical experience. For specifics on qualifying education and/or experience - use the following link: Basic Requirements for Engineer Positions.
In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as experience as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and technical consultant in applying professional civil and structural engineering principles and concepts. This experience must include mastery of structural concepts, principles, and practices involved with the design, layout, and construction of low and mid-rise office buildings, security engineering, and traditional and state-of-the art techniques of structural analysis of steel and concrete materials, and evaluation of seismic forces including dynamic analysis; application of industry policies and standards including the International Building Code as well as experience with cross-discipline elements such as mechanical equipment loads and building façade systems.
This position has a positive education requirement: Applicants must submit a copy of their college or university transcript(s) and certificates by the closing date of announcements to verify qualifications. If selected, an official transcript will be required prior to appointment.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert