2023 UK Graduate Geologist/Geotechnical Engineer: NorwichJob Description
We manage and deliver designs for major below ground civil projects and are recognised as authoritative and innovative in ground engineering.
We specialise in all aspects of foundations, geotechnics, and tunnelling, and contribute to some of the largest and most demanding structures in the world. These projects range from Crossrail in London, East London Line, Victoria Station Upgrade, Budapest Metro, Dublin Interconnector, TfL tunnels refurbishment to name a few.
Areas of expertise include value management and value engineering, geotechnical advice, geotechnical information management, site investigation, rock engineering, slope engineering, coastal engineering, and environmental geotechnics. Supporting our civil design capability, we have specialist engineering geology, numerical modelling, seismic and hydrogeology expertise.
Work will vary but you are likely to undertake the following type of work:
- Prepare desk studies
- Plan, procure, supervise and report on ground investigations to the requirements of EC7.
- Provide engineering geological input, and parameter derivation, to the design of the following in both soil and rock:
- Foundations and substructures
- Slopes and assess stability
- Reinforced earth structures
- Provide input to of soil and rock mechanics analyses.
- Classify rock masses using rock mass rating systems
- Undertake budgeting and cost control
- Prepare technical reports
We are looking for committed and motivated graduates with a genuine passion and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To be eligible for this opportunity, you will have less than 12 months relevant experience and have a degree or are expected to achieve one of the following degree disciplines:
- Engineering geology
- Geotechnical engineering
- Soil mechanics
- Civil Engineering
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest in the role and working at Mott MacDonald through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving.
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail and be able to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
As we want the best people for the role, we support flexible working.
Please ask us at interview stage about any flexibility you may need.Job ProfileAbout your development
A graduate position should be more than just a job. We know this and so do you. Thats why with our graduate roles, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, youll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. Well support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution.What else is involved?
Youll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a structured three-year soft-skills development programme which develops the strengths that we know graduates need to be successful at Mott MacDonald. It also gives you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort. The programme is a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars, and CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) challenges. We understand that each persons career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individuals development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You will have the opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our Social Outcomes and the difference we can make!
Did you know that Mott MacDonald are Work180 accredited which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Youre probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and youll get:
Our social side
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, youll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that youre given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension up to 7% of your salary: we have the best people on our team, and we like to look out for them. With our support, youll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. Thats why with our flexible plan, youll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.
Being part of Mott MacDonald means more than just work, theres a huge range of fun and exciting things that you can get involved in.
From the moment you join us, youll have the opportunity to expand your social and professional network, whether its meeting other graduates or joining forces with other members of staff from around the company at our annual sports day. Each of our offices have a sports and social committee which will give you the chance to be part of a variety of sports, social and charity events. Were committed to promoting a strong culture of social responsibility and encourage our staff to play active roles in the local community.
It's worth noting that sports and social committees tend to vary from office to office, so as well as getting involved in whats already on offer, dont be afraid to suggest new events or initiatives that you think could be a great addition.
It doesnt stop there. As well as events, youll also have access to discounts on cinema tickets, travel, fashion, utilities and much more as part of our company benefits which you can take advantage of the moment you join.Other InformationEquality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.Agile working
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.More about Mott MacDonald
Were a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence