We have a fantastic opportunity for a permanent Principal Transportation & Civil Engineer to join our Amey Consulting team in Scotland. We have design hubs in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Motherwell, Perth, and Aberdeen together with additional office space in Dumfries, Ayr, Dundee, Nairn and Huntly.
Our Amey Consulting Scotland Team are involved in designing some of the largest civil engineering and associated infrastructure projects across Scotland with cumulative values in excess of £1bn.
Amey manages both the Southwest and Northeast Trunk Road Network Management contracts, with the Southwest being awarded in 2020 and the Northeast in 2022. These are 8-year contracts, extendable up to 12 years. In addition to these long-term contracts, we also have a diverse portfolio of major roads, bridges and transportation and civil design projects with Transport Scotland, Local Authorities, and established contractors across the country.
These long-term contracts provide excellent opportunities for technical, engineering, and professional design staff at all stages of their careers to be involved in some of the most exciting and challenging engineering projects associated with Scotland's arterial road network.
As the Principal Transportation & Civil Engineer, you will play an important part in overseeing production of technical design, as part of a dedicated design engineering team taking schemes from inception through design to construction. The standard hours of work are:
40 hours per week.
Work-life balance and flexibility are key for our success. We empower our people to make choices that are right for them, with hybrid, part-time and flexible work patterns. And with a network of offices across Scotland, we're open to discussing working options that suit you. You will be responsible for
What makes this role unique is
- Developing and maintaining specific client relationship(s), with regular reviews of project performance, and active management of issues
- Leading effective, value for money and innovative design solutions to meet technical and project requirements.
- Leading and approving feasibility studies, appraisal / assessment reports and other written documents.
- Ensuring compliance with relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM regulations.
- Developing and maintaining control of programme and budgets.
- Ensuring compliance with the integrated management system and assist in development.
- Supervising, mentoring, and developing team members from graduate engineers and technicians through to senior engineers.
- Completing performance appraisals with direct reports and provide learning and development opportunities where possible.
- Supporting the preparation of bids and delivery of services across the business
You will work in a diverse team across a diverse portfolio of projects. You'll be empowered to challenge yourself, as well as your colleagues. You'll have the opportunity to thrive, and we'll help you shape your career whether through further qualification, learning new skills or whatever else you need to achieve you ambitions. We want to hear from you if you have
What we can offer you
- Chartered Engineer status MICE, MIHE, MCIHT,?MIStructE?or TPP
- Extensive experience of delivering competent designs of improvements such as minor and major junction layouts including traffic signals, lining and signing schemes for both the trunk and local road networks?
- Experienced Principal Designer with working knowledge of current CDM and H&S requirements?
- Computer literate and conversant with relevant engineering software packages???????
- Experience in technical delivery as well as leading and managing roads, improvement schemes.
- Considerable experience in leading and managing teams?
When you join us, we can offer flexibility, career development, a choice of benefits and support that help you through all life's ups and downs. It's the reason why Investors in People put us among the top 1% of employers and we have a competitive reward and benefits program
We embrace difference
- Career Development - Exceptional development and progression plan
- Pension - Generous Pension scheme which we will contribute to
- Bonus - up to 10% of base salary
- Holidays - Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Choices - Our flexible benefits scheme is tailored by you, including buying additional annual leave, cycle2work scheme, charity giving and gym membership
- Save with Amey - Our online voucher portal gives you access to thousands of discounts from leading retailers to help you save on shopping, days out, or nights in. It includes healthcare, free GP service, dental vouchers
- Social Value - You'll get 2 Community Involvement Days each year to volunteer for a charity of your choice and further opportunities to support fundraising initiatives
and support individuals
to work in ways that work best for them.
We are committed
to working sustainably
and by working in partnership with the communities
we serve, so people and the planetare protected.
At Amey, you have freedom to perform
because we know if nothing holds you back, together, we can be extraordinary. Who is Amey?
- We are at the heart of modern Britain, helping the economy to grow by designing, maintaining, and transforming the nation's strategic assets.
- Our 11,000 people are behind the critical services the country relies on every day.
- Our unique engineering and operations experience, together with data driven insight from our consulting business, delivers better results for our clients.
- We are trusted partners of Government - both national and local - managing assets and complex projects that are vital to the sustainable growth of the country.
To find out more take a look at our website www.amey.co.uk