A vacancy exists for a Structural Engineer (Weights) to join a multi-disciplinary engineering team, working on one of the major Combat Air Programmes in BAE Systems. It provides input, analysis and support to military fast jet airframe design and development. The role is critical to enabling the release of design definitions and/or supporting the manufacture and/or the operation of military fast jet airframes
Structural Engineers (Weights) are involved in a range of activities, which are described generically below, the role includes one of more of them
• Classical weights analysis methods
• Generation of concept level weights and balance assessments
• Setting and controlling weights targets
• Managing and controlling weight and balance aspects throughout build and into operation
• Management, control and issue of weights loads sheets.
- 5 days p/wk (Mon-Fri) around relevant site core hours (7am - 6pm Mon - Thurs, 7am - 12.30pm Fri).
- Hours required to work per week are 37.00 unless otherwise stated (this does not include lunch breaks).
- Start and finish times to be agreed with local Line Management, in accordance with local site core hours.
- Lunch break (unpaid) is 42 minutes which will automatically be deducted each working day from 12.30pm to 13.12pm by the electronic time management system.
- Dependant on workload, local management may request more or less hours are worked within this contract.
- Hybrid Working - there will be a requirement to attend site 60% (3 days per week) of the time.
The successful candidate will be required to perform tasks suitable to the internal level of this role. The role will contain, but will not be limited to, the following:
• Working within an Airframe / Air Vehicle Systems team to discharge structural engineering (Weights) activities across the various work packages/projects, in line with the appropriate programme.
• Develop internal schedules and planning activities.
• Manage own workload to ensure task delivery to agreed programme, planned cost & to a high quality.
• Build & develop strong working relationships with other team members & external stakeholders.
• Attending and supporting internal and external engineering related reviews as required.
• Support a culture of continuous improvement.
• Degree, HND or equivalent and approximately 3-5 years' experience in a relevant Engineering discipline.
• Work with minimal supervision, be pro-active, diligent, and have strong team-working & communications skills and be committed to a delivery culture
• Problem solving skils and a Proactive approach to problem solving
• Experience of working in a collaborative environment with internal and external stakeholders
• Experience in mass management and mass distribution methods
• The ability to respond positively to unforeseen changes will be key to maintaining a positive and responsive working environment
• Competent in the use of Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
• Competent in the use of CATIA v5
• Experience/knowledge of engineering processes & standards
• Knowledge of the Engineering Lifecycle and typical aircraft development lifecycle
The candidate must be good with Microsoft Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
Communication, Team Working and Motivation are Essential