Start your career with a company that inspires you to deliver your best work so you can grow and succeed! Salary:
£23,194 to £24,496 per annum. Contract:
37 hours per week. Location:
Chichester and/or Local Area Offices around the County including Clapham and Drayton Depots. Hybrid-working arrangements, including working from home, will also be available.
Do you enjoy maths? Do you hold an A-Level grade B/5 in Maths and like the idea of planning, designing, and managing? If so, look no further. We have opportunities in our Highways, Transport and Planning teams for Civil Engineer Technicians.
If you want to make a difference and have desire to learn and grow, we want to hear from you.
As an apprentice you'll be in the thick of all the action. You'll expand your knowledge, while discovering exciting new challenges and learning from our industry experts.
If you're an individual that can work independently and demonstrate a positive approach to problem solving, then this apprenticeship is for you.
Your daily training tasks may include:
- Learning the principles of project management.
- Learning and applying Complex Design standards.
- Programming and liaison with Contractors.
- Contract management and communications.
- Reactive maintenance processes and solutions.
- Asset Management.
- Budget management and budget profiling.
- Contract governance.
- Scheme prioritization and site inspections / assessment.
- Collaboration and conditions of contract.
- Chairing contract meeting and note taking.
As well as expanding your skill set you will undertake and complete an Degree Level 6 qualification in Civil Engineering. This will require a commitment to attend college/university regularly from September 2023 over a five-year period, undertaking work-based assessments and completing assignments relating to the apprenticeship standard and your work at WSCC. What Qualifications will I gain?
Successful apprentices will gain a Level 6 Degree Civil Engineer Apprenticeship qualification. This will include registration as an Engineering Technician by the relevant professional engineering institution, functional skills, and employment responsibilities and rights. What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Upon completing the programme, our apprenticeships can lead to a position in any of the departments you have spent time in. This provides you with the opportunity to see which areas of Civil Engineering best suit your interests and career goals. What we need from you:
Why join West Sussex County Council?
- Ability to meet deadlines and use initiative to complete varied complex tasks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to carry out lengthy periods of mental attention on complex tasks.
- Ability to work as part of a team to provide a coordinated service to others.
- Hold a full valid UK driving license.
- At least five GSCEs at Grades A*-C or 9-4 including Maths with a minimum grade of B or 5-6.
- Level 4 HNC Civil Engineering Technician or Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma DDM-DMM (minimum M in Further Mathematics).
- Some experience of providing a service to others and working with others to deliver a goal, either in a job or an extra-curricular activity.
We care hugely about wellbeing and developing our team to be the best they can be. Alongside this, we also offer the below benefits:
- 25 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme.
- A strong supportive management team.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- Free access to employee assistant programmes.
- A range of discounts including Argos, Samsung, Asos, B&Q and many more.
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- Car benefit scheme.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page. Further Information
To find out more information please visit our website.
Does this sound like your next venture? To apply, please follow the links below upload your CV and application form explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role.
For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
Please note that if you do not meet the eligibility requirements for the Level 6 degree Civil Engineering apprenticeship role, we shall automatically consider you for the Level 4 HNC Civil Engineering apprenticeship, unless you specifically notify us that you wish to not be.