My client is a leading multi-disciplined construction and property consultancy. We provide a definitive range of services to the UK building and construction industry covering civil & structural engineering, building & quantity surveying, clerk of works, project management, employers agent, architecture, mechanical & electrical engineering, sustainability, building information modelling, development monitoring, expert witness, rights of light, party wall and health & safety.
Working within a busy group of Civil and Structural Engineers, the Principal Engineer should be professionally dedicated, innovative and enthusiastic with a flexible approach to work. Reporting to the Partner(s) in charge of the department, the Principal Engineer will be responsible for the timely and cost effective management of projects to which they are allocated. Interaction with Clients and other members of the Design Team will be a key undertaking of the position. The role will include inspection and reporting on existing structures, Party Wall Engineering reviews, detailed design of structural elements, team and project management and business development. They should pay attention to detail and be adaptable with a good command of the English language, and have an organised, mature and professional attitude.
* Report to, and take direction from, the Partner(s) in the Civil and Structural Engineering Group.
* Manage projects from inception to completion to ensure that deliverables are issued to programme, to the required quality standard and within the budget set by the Partner.
* Act as lead or sole designer as appropriate to size of particular project.
* Prepare reports, general correspondence, etc. as required in connection with the running of projects.
* Undertake scheme and detailed design as appropriate on individual projects, including preparation of detailed design calculations, checking drawings and other deliverables.
* Supervise and mentor other Engineers and Technicians within the team.
* Undertake survey inspections and produce written reports in good English.
* Review structural information for ‘Adjoining Owner' in respect of Party Wall Awards and provide comment in clear written English
* When required by the Partner, assist other members of the Team to complete tasks, particularly in relation to meeting project deadlines.
* Liaise with other members of the design and construction team, representing the Civil and Structural Engineering Group.
* Preparing design programmes for production deliverables.
* Financial and resource management of projects.
* Team Development, work winning and Client management.
* Assisting in pursuing late payments by Clients.
-A Degree specifically in Civil or Structural Engineering.
-Minimum of 7 years design experience on building structures projects in UK.
-Chartered Engineer (CEng) and Member of Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) or Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE).
-Current experience of leading and managing structural engineering design projects.
-Experience in projects with construction values in excess of £40M.
-Competent and reliable designer in structural steelwork, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber.
-Experienced in refurbishment and change of use designs as well as new build work.
-Excellent knowledge of standard engineering practices, techniques and procedures.
-A high level of understanding of project management principles and practices.
-Familiar and empathetic with all forms of building construction.
-Good attention to detail.
-Able to produce written reports in good English.
-Good command of English (spoken and written).
-Self-starter, motivated, personable and confident.
-Able to work with minimal supervision but provider of continual feedback to Partner(s) in Charge.
-Team worker with good communication and people management skills through a mature and professional attitude.
-Able to work on own initiative but accept guidance or constructive criticism.
-Hold current UK driving license.
-Proactive individual with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
* Sound knowledge of construction contracts and professional agreements and experience in negotiating fee agreements.
* Proficient in the use of analysis and design software (TEDDS, TSD, etc).
* Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary practice.
* Experience in technical leadership, team building and motivation