Do you have proven experience of geotechnical design?
Are you looking to develop your career by taking a technical lead at an employee-owned company at the heart of climate resilience?
Would you like to work on projects that seek to improve the environment and protect society from the impacts of climate change? We are seeking enthusiasticGeotechnical Engineerswith proven technical and analytical skills for an immediate start to join our growing Newcastle office. The successful candidate will be part of the geotechnical team for Scotland and the north of England, though will provide technical support to projects across the JBA business. You will be part of a team providing support to our growing Dams & Reservoirs group, liaising directly with Panel Engineers on a variety of projects across the UK.
Our workload is primarily focused on flood risk management and coastal defence projects, from the ground investigation and initial optioneering stages, through to detailed design and construction. Our engineers work within multi-disciplinary project teams helping us to find the most economic and sustainable design solutions.
In addition to the flood risk management work, we also provide support to Network Rail and various local authorities in relation to slope stability investigations and infrastructure design.
The successful candidate will be expected to take a technical lead within the team, undertaking and overseeing modelling of complex engineering problems, whilst also mentoring and supporting more junior staff.Location:
This role will be based in our growing office incentral Newcastle , just a short walk from Central Station and the Metro. JBA supports agile working which provides for greater flexibility with the way that we work.
We are looking for applicants with effective communication skills, with the ability to work as part of a larger multi-disciplinary team and provide support to junior staff. Self-motivation and a high degree of organisation are essential.
A full UK driving licence is required.The right candidate will have:
- A BEng/MEng in Civil Engineering or a BSc in Geology/Engineering Geology/ Geotechnical Engineering (or equivalent), ideally with an MSc (or equivalent) in Geotechnical Engineering/Engineering Geology.
- Chartered Membership of either the ICE or Geological Society and ideally on the Register of Ground Engineering Professionals.
- Strong, proven experience of undertaking complex geotechnical analysis and provision of effective solutions.
- A sound knowledge of the application of the CDM regulations to geotechnical design.
- Detailed understanding and experience in undertaking Eurocode compliant projects, as well as other relevant technical standards.
- Undertaken seepage analysis, ideally in flood embankment or water retention scenarios.
- Done modelling and analysis of slope stability, including failed or failing slopes, as well as design of remedial measures.
- Knowledge in a wide range of geotechnical solutions, such as ground anchors, soils nails, ground improvement techniques, and the ability to determine their best use on a scheme.
- Experience in the design and specification of a range of retaining solutions, including sheet piling, gabions and reinforced earth.
- Deep foundations experience in the design and specification of replacement and displacement piles.
- Experience in the use of standard industry software suites, such as Seep/w, Slope/w, WALLAP, Frew, Alp, Settle3D, etc.
- Experience in FE analysis, such as PLAXIS and experience of ground modelling/data management platforms e.g. Leapfrog Works or OpenGround would be desirable.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact James Howard on 44 (0)191 233 0707.Note:
JBA run a comprehensive Graduate Scheme and recent graduates interested in working for us should apply via that route