Senior Civil Engineer - Design Lead
Apply now Job Description
Mott MacDonald Bentley Construction (MMBC) is the design and build unit of global engineering consultancy Mott MacDonald. An employee-owned company with a team of design, construction, and commercial professionals we offer a unique and friction-free design and build service to water companies across the UK. Our Design Leads are responsible for between one and three Project Leaders and are accountable for delivering a programme of work.
As a Senior Civil Engineer Design Lead, you will be accountable for the design of a programme of water and wastewater infrastructure and non-infrastructure projects through the outline and detailed design, construction, commissioning, and handover. You will be responsible for building a project team comprised of electrical, mechanical, civil, and process designers who will support your Project Leader. You will identify and mitigate resource constraints to enable project teams to complete the design to programme and within budget.
Design Leads work closely with a Contract Manager and a Quantity Surveyor as a Delivery triangle. The Delivery triangle works as a team to deliver the traditional Programme Management duties. This structure reinforces the integration of design and construction whilst providing a support network to individuals. This triangle structure between design, construction and commercial disciplines is maintained at all levels throughout MMBC.
- Embed a positive and honest environment for your team where everyone is challenged and encouraged to reach their potential.
- Analyse project performance and identify risks that may impact project delivery. Develop mitigation to avoid negative impacts or exploit opportunities.
- Understand and administer the contract when change occurs. You will be responsible for maintaining the contract programme during design and handover.
- Challenge the engineering solutions and delivery effectiveness of your team to ensure we always offer Thames Water the best value solutions. We aim to be their trusted partner of choice.
- Provide direction and oversight of project controls and ensure your teams understand and comply with quality, programme, and cost requirements.
- Line manage your team and their utilisation. Identify skills gaps and work with other areas of the business to support where projects require. Take an active role in recruitment.
What we will give you:
- The opportunity to deliver a programme of work that will directly improve the lives of hundreds or thousands of Thames Water customers and the environment.
- Opportunities to influence and improve how projects are delivered.
- A career path with a clear progression in both Technical or Management disciplines.
- An agile working arrangement that provides you flexibility whilst ensuring effective project delivery.
- Chartered or Incorporated member of the ICE with extensive experience in water or wastewater, non-infrastructure and infrastructure design
- Outline and detailed design experience of water or wastewater projects and knowledge of the Designer or Principal Designer duties under CDM 2015.
- Experience managing design quality control processes.
- Experience developing a programme and budget and monitoring progress against both.
- Able to communicate clearly and work effectively to lead a multidisciplinary team.
- Proven record in mentoring and developing staff in design.
Job ProfileOther informationThis is a Mott MacDonald Bentley role, employed by Mott MacDonald.
- Competitive salary and 7% pension match.
- Annual bonus based on company performance.
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave.
- Paid professional institution annual fee.
- Life insurance.
- Enhanced parental leave.
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & interest-free season ticket loans.
Mott MacDonald Bentley is a joint venture business, established in 1999 between civil engineering contractor JN Bentley and global management consultancy, Mott MacDonald.
Mott MacDonald Bentley offers fully integrated design and build services to its clients, combining the contracting expertise of JN Bentley and the design specialisms of Mott MacDonald.
This role is employed by Mott MacDonald but will involve working across the joint venture business, both with Mott MacDonald and JN Bentley colleagues.About Mott MacDonald
Mott MacDonald is a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence.Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all sectors of the community. We promote an open and transparent culture and a workplace where everyone feels included and is treated fairly and with respect.Agile working
We are committed to providing a flexible and agile working environment that supports both our employees and the needs of the business. ? Back to Search Apply now