Position: Principal Geotechnical Engineer
Salary: Between £40K and £60K depending on the individual candidate's experience.
An opportunity has arisen for a Principal Geotechnical Engineer to join our successful client, a well established firm of Chartered Consulting Engineers providing services across all sectors. This role predominantly covers the north of England, centred on Leeds, but will occasionally involve travel to other client sites across the UK.
They are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic candidate to manage and work on the geotechnical engineering aspects of site development and construction. Most sites are brownfield, with a complex ground legacy.
The role is generally office based, but there will be occasional requirements to attend meetings with Clients and regulators, and occasional site visits. To meet increasing workloads, the candidate will, with the assistance of the Directors, be encouraged to recruit and build a small team of geotechnical specialists. In the interim, the successful candidate will be supported by an existing team of Engineering Geologists who produce Geo-environmental Desk Studies and Site Investigation Reports, Geotechnical Ground Investigations, Coal Mining Risk Reports, Coal Mining Investigations and Contamination Remediation Strategies.
The typical work of the candidate is likely to include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Designing, specifying, and validating slopes and earthworks for developments.
• Collaborating with the company's Civils and Structures teams to optimise the designs of foundations, retaining walls/structures, and surface water attenuation tanks, in relation to the ground conditions present.
• Providing engineering solutions to deal with the presence of weak ground, quarry high wall lines, deep fill, mine shafts and adits, railway and road tunnels, problematic groundwater, and unexpected ground conditions.
• Liaising with the clients to ensure the proposals meet their needs, and liaising with regulators and adopting authorities to obtain the necessary approvals are obtained.
• Reviewing ground investigation reports and providing advice on abnormal geotechnical issues that potential developers will need to consider and cost for.
• Assessing quarry face stability and stand-off requirements (mining and quarrying industry).
• Assessment of geotechnical issues of development in proximity to existing railways and trunk roads/motorways and resolving these in consultation with the relevant authorities.
• Preparation of fee quotes in relation to the items of work noted in the bullet points above.
Suitable candidates will have:
• Masters in Civil Engineering or Engineering Geology / Geotechnics
• Professional qualification (CEng or CGeol)
• At least 10 years' relevant post-graduate experience
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to develop and mentor their team
• Capability to work independently or with a design team
• Knowledge and understanding of current technical standards
• Good time management skills.
• Hold a full UK Driving Licence.
In return on offer is a competitive remuneration package which includes the following rewards and benefits:-
• 26 days paid annual leave, comprising your birthday, 22 flexible days, and 3 days fixed over the Christmas period. In addition, 8 bank holidays are provided.
• Flexibility on working hours and hybrid working, following completion of probationary period.
• Free on-site parking
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Chartered Professional fees paid
• Enrolment under the _Simply Health_ benefit scheme after 6 months service
• Childcare vouchers under the Busy Bees Scheme
• Cycle scheme
• Social activities
• Annual Bonus Scheme
About the Company:
Our client are a Civil, Structural, Building Services and Geotechnical Engineering Consultancy, established in 1993. Based in Leeds and Manchester, but covering the whole of the country. They are a well established and acknowledged market provider of professional management and engineering design services. They work with Clients to achieve their aspirations and plans from initial feasibility and concept studies through to delivery and operation of facilities.
With professional staff with Chartered status, they provide expertise in Project Management, Building Surveying, Geotechnical and Geochemical Investigations and reporting, Geo-environmental Investigations and reporting, Topographical Surveys, Infrastructure Design, Specialist Foundation Design, Refurbishments and Flood Risk Assessments, all of which complement the core business of Civil, Building Services & Structural Engineering.