Temporary Works Designer
Reporting to the Engineering Manager the temporary works designer will work in the design team carrying out detailed design and checking of temporary works and minor permanent works for civil engineering. They will provide technical support to assist with Barhale operational activities for our projects across the UK. The role is based in Walsall but as we provide national coverage there will be occasional travel throughout the UK to projects & sites.
The temporary works design includes support of excavations, falsework and formwork, access scaffolds, working platforms, shaft / tunnel installation, plant equipment, and lifting operations. Reinforced concrete shaft bases, roof slabs, steelwork fabrications, and pipework thrust restraints.
• Preparation and checking of detailed technical designs (including calculations, drawings, risk assessments and design certificates) for projects.
• Undertaking preliminary designs for pricing - obtaining independent checks and / or third party technical approval
• Ensuring design outputs meet CDM 2015 / health & safety compliance.
• Providing technical information / advice to site teams regarding temporary works.
• Proposing and / or developing value engineered alternative solutions (during design and construction phases).
• Assisting with both maintaining and developing process, procedures and standards for technical design.
• Obtaining or providing pricing for estimating purposes.
Key Measures & Targets:
• Deliver the required services on time / cost / quality.
• Contribute wherever possible to enable the company to meet CDM 2015 / health & safety targets. • Contribute wherever possible to enable the company to meet environmental targets.
• Design & Engineering team and other technical staff.
• Project based staff including Contracts Managers, Project Managers, Site Agents, Site Engineers - Clients, suppliers and third parties.
The successful candidate is likely to meet all the following criteria:
Degree in civil engineering.
Current relevant CSCS card.
Incorporated/chartered with a relevant professional institution (or working towards achieving such a qualification).
Thorough knowledge of engineering management, construction processes and technical design.
Good team worker but able to exercise own judgement.
Able to work independently and manage own time / tasks.
Effective communicator and able to assert their own view.
Able to coach others.
Able to identify risks and opportunities
Able to think laterally but remain critically objective in evaluating alternatives.
Minimum 3 years of experience; preferably with a mix of site and design office.
Experience in the Water, Rail, and Power sectors
Experience in the detailed design of permanent and temporary works including the use of CAD
Working knowledge of relevant industry specifications (CESWI, Network Rail, Highways, Building Regulations).
Experience in obtaining third-party technical approval of proposals.
Benefits: As well as offering a competitive salary, remuneration for this role includes flexible benefits, which provide a range of guaranteed benefits including but not limited to: ▪ 5% Company pension contribution ▪ Life Assurance at 2 x notional salary ▪ Single person's private medical cover ▪ Permanent Health Cover