We are Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S). We manage a vast range of projects to supply and maintain vital equipment and services for the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force. Together, we deliver essential defence programmes - and strive for what's next. Because it helps keep our military at the top of their game and our nation safe, now and in the future.
Across our 12,500-strong organisation, we support all our people to be at their very best, fostering a family-friendly approach to flexible and hybrid working. After all, support is in our name. Job description
Are you fascinated by cutting-edge weapon technology and eager to work first-hand with weapon systems on military platforms? Here at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), we are looking for two Weapons Engineers to join our Directed Energy Weapons (DEW) Team, supporting the development of state-of-the-art weaponry.
The engineering roles are split across both Laser and Radio Frequency (RF) DEW. The DEW portfolio is a growing area, addressing novel technologies and therefore there are significant opportunities for professional development in both Laser and RF DEW. We will provide you with word-class training to aid your success within our Weapons team.
You will play a valuable part in accelerating the delivery of DEW into the hands of the British Front-Line Forces by delivering Capability Demonstrator Projects to shape user requirements, and Assessment Phase projects to take the first steps towards DEW acquisition.
Using your excellent communication skills, you will build and maintain strong working relationships with industry partners and have technical responsibility for multiple exciting and fast-paced projects. You will oversee progress towards technical milestones, risk management and platform integration. You will also be involved in the setting of requirements and the bid evaluation process.
Due to the nature of security requirements, these roles are open to sole UK nationals only.
Please note, there will be regular domestic travel to other UK sites and the potential for occasional international travel. Responsibilities
- Manage the technical delivery within your area of the Directed Energy Portfolio, managing the technical resources required to input into the projects
- Engage with a wide range of stakeholders, chairing meetings and providing presentations to technical and non-technical stakeholders of all seniorities
- Guide the project technical risk management activities
- Undertake detailed design reviews to ensure system suitability and acceptability
- Author and peer review Engineering Artefacts (including Engineering Management Plans) for the projects within your area of the Portfolio
- Lead supplier relationship management and interfaces with other DE&S and MOD teams
To be successful with your application, you'll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Hold a minimum of a Level 4 qualification (HNC) in an engineering or Science subject, or have the equivalent experience
- Experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
- Experience with system/equipment/project safety
- Experience in a relevant engineering field, e.g., weapons, systems integration, electronics, combat systems, electro-optics, RF systems or laser systems
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Decision Making (Practitioner)
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance (Practitioner)
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and improving
- 25 days' annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King's birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you're looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, here you'll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of. And if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know.