Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping our future?
Join our talented, welcoming team to make West Sussex County Council a better place. Salary:
£35,411 to £42,503 per annum. Annual Leave:
27 to 30 days holiday plus bank holidays = 36 to 33 days. Additional opportunity to gain a further 12 days by working flexibly. Working pattern:
37 hours per week. Contract:
Hybrid, Chichester, requirement to come into office twice a week and flexibility to attend sites when necessary. Pension, Employer Contribution:
As a Senior Civil Engineer, you and your team will be responsible for delivering highways improvement projects and schemes across West Sussex from concept to implementation.
An example of some of the schemes you would manage include:
- dropped crossings,
- pedestrian refuges,
- small junction improvements,
- strategic cycle schemes,
- traffic management and calming,
- town centre improvements.
A large part of your role will involve managing consultants and being responsible for consultation and stakeholder management. You will liaise with our partners ensuring we are abiding by safety policies whilst also advising on suitability of schemes.
Our employees are key to our success, so we encourage and support training including a range of apprenticeships, technical training, project management development and supporting staff to get their Engineering Technician/Incorporated Engineer/Chartered professional qualifications. What we need from you.
Reward and benefits
- Ability to identify problems and resolve issues independently.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to seek and introduce continuous improvement.
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
- Sound analytical and judgemental skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to provide complex, technical specialist advice.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships and influence the behaviour and conduct of colleagues.
- Ability to direct and coordinate the work of external consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- BTEC HNC or degree qualification, Incorporated Engineer or post-graduate qualification within the specialist area, or equivalent qualification or experience demonstrating that level of advanced applied knowledge in researching, analysing and evaluating arguments and information.
- Detailed and thorough knowledge of relevant highways and transportation standards and procedures.
- Computer literate.
- Political awareness.
- Experience of mentoring and providing on-the-job training to other team members.
- Experience of managing and monitoring budgets or projects.
We care hugely about wellbeing, allowing time for fun, and developing our team to be the best they can be. Alongside this, we also offer the below benefits:
- A competitive salary.
- 27-30 days annual leave + bank holidays.
- A generous pension scheme, 20.70% employer contribution.
- Supported and encouraged to achieve professional membership of institutions such as the Institution of Civil Engineers and/or the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation, to IEng or CEng status as appropriate.
- Subscription fees of one appropriate professional body paid for by WSCC.
- A strong supportive management team.
- A range of discounts including Argos, Samsung, Asos, B&Q and many more.
- Free access to employee assistant programmes.
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee you can find them on our Rewards and Benefits page. Further Information
The reference number for this role is EIE01162.
Sound like your next venture? Apply by clicking the link below, upload your CV and cover letter, explaining how you meet the key skill in the attached job description.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!