Akton are recruiting on behalf of a client who have an exciting opportunity for an Associate or Partner to join and take up the leadership of their established team in Reading. The team is expanding in response to a strong and diverse workload, creating an exciting leadership opportunity for an ambitious individual to develop their career within a quickly growing multi-disciplinary office environment.
As part of a multidisciplinary consultancy the existing Structural Engineering team provide a comprehensive range of design, procurement, coordination and project management services to support clients through the whole project life cycle; offering a full multi-disciplinary service or standalone specialist technical services for projects of significant value both in the UK and beyond.
Supporting the Structural Engineering Team working on prestigious projects you will need to manage resources and be able to oversee all aspects of the engineering design and financial management of the projects. You will cover a wide range of disciplines in property and construction and be responsible for providing a wide range of structural engineering services under the direction of the Discipline Partner.
The team has a broad range of experience in various project sectors through existing and secured workload. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute their own opportunities and deliver growth of the team.
Our client recognises the importance of all engineers at all levels maintaining a hands-on approach to project work. As such there is an expectation that the candidate will be able to maintain and improve their technical ability by undertaking design activities as the workload of the team requires.
Role and Responsibilities
- Team leadership and development
- Team financial and resource management
- Develop opportunities through new and existing clients
- Day-to-day support to colleagues from other disciplines within the Reading office
- Supervise Engineers and Cad Technicians
- Represent the company at external meetings with clients and fellow professionals
- Project profitability (monitoring / planning of costs and budgets)
- Prepare client / project proposals
- Preparation of detailed design calculations to Eurocodes and relevant design guidance notes (CIRIA, BRE etc). By hand and computer aided techniques
- Preparation of detailed design drawings and specifications for Tender purposes. Production of Construction information for issue to Contractors. By hand and computer aided techniques
- Carrying out surveys and providing advice on any issues that may arise. Analysing and reporting on defects and remediation if required
- Visiting sites during the Construction phase to monitor progress and provide advice to Contractors
- Be responsible for delivering work to a fee agreed
- Assist in negotiating fee proposals and requesting additional fees
- Construct project teams from internal and external resources
- Agree design philosophy / design fundamentals
- Reviewing and commenting upon reports
- Surveying existing structures and providing written reports
- Reviewing client documents and drafting synopses
Experience and Skills Required
- Excellent communication skills, in both written and spoken English
- Significant design experience
- Ideally Chartered
- A relevant engineering degree qualification
- Experience of working in a similar role, ideally within a private practice
- Project experience throughout the RIBA plan of work
- Possess a good working knowledge of Software including SCIA, Tekla and TEDDS
- Experience of leading a team of engineers and technicians
- Competent and reliable designer in structural steelwork, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber
- Experience of refurbishment and change of use designs as well as new build work
- Familiar and empathetic with all forms of building construction
- Proficient in the use of analysis and design software (TEDDS, TSD, etc)
- Hold current UK driving licence