Under the supervision of the Director of Engineering or designee performs a variety of tasks related to the design of road and bridge improvements, construction projects and traffic engineering. Work assignments may involve all phases of the engineering function from the initial feasibility study through final implementation and construction. Oversees and coordinates the activities of assigned technical personnel in drawing plans, writing specifications and with the acquisition of rights of way. Works with parties, affected by construction projects or maintenance projects to adjust project design to conform to field conditions and meet needs and concerns. Attends project public hearings and engages the public regarding proposed construction projects. Assist with planning and organizing work of Engineering Technicians on a project basis. Monitors project expenditures and maintains project budgets.
1. Oversees and coordinates project level activities of technical personnel in drawing plans, writing specifications and the acquisition of rights of way. Develops design plans within budget and time constraints.
2. Analyzes field data collected at project sites and uses engineering design guidelines to design, draw plans and develop specifications for road and bridge improvement projects.
3. Works with consultants, when appropriate, to design projects. Reviews construction plans and specifications for construction projects. Prepares bid documents and specifications for contracted work. Maintains project files, updating them as work progresses and prepares pay estimates. May inspect construction projects in progress and upon completion.
4. Works with various state and federal agencies to comply with reporting requirements on projects that are partially or totally funded by those agencies. Reports include preliminary design, grade inspection, final design, drawing and bid document submission and letting the project for bid. Monitors and reports project budgets by funding source.
5. Oversees and coordinates acquisition of rights of way needed for the completion of Road Department projects including meeting and negotiating with property owners. Works with department counsel and senior staff on legal matter pertaining to right of way issues .
6. Works to determine actual field conditions and helps adjusts project design or construction to fit those conditions. Performs construction engineering as assigned, including inspection duties. Assists senior staff with parties affected by road projects, when applicable, alters design to address the concerns of adjacent property owners, drain commission, utility companies and other impacted organizations.
7. Participates in the planning process by collaborating with other professional staff to evaluate the need for road project improvements.
8. Provides information to the public and attends public hearings and stakeholders meetings concerning road and bridge improvement projects and other Road Department activities.
9. Provides technology assistance in modifying computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software to maximize staff efficiency.
10. Attends professional engineering events and seminars and reads literature in the field to keep current with techniques in design, construction and management. Updates technical staff of changes in engineering standards.
11. Executes the responsibilities of the Director of Engineering when absent, according to lawful and ethical standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must adhere to departmental standards in regard to HIPAA and other privacy issues.
- During a public health emergency, the employee may be required to perform duties similar to, but not limited, to those in his/her job description.
(An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the above tasks. These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
Education: A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering.
Experience: Registration as a Professional Engineer in Michigan is required. A minimum of progressively more responsible civil engineering experience in road design and construction per the following:
MC Road Grade 5: A minimum of (2) two years’ experience.
MC Road Grade 6: A minimum of (5) five years’ experience, including a minimum of one year in prior grade 5 or equivalent experience.
MC Road Grade 7: A minimum of (7) seven years’ experience, including a minimum of one year in prior grade 6 or equivalent experience.
MC 5 $76,181.58 - $98,478.41
MC 6 $81,504.13 - $105,372.70
MC 7 $87,228.41 - $112,748.35
- Possession of a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- This position requires complete proficiency in the use of computers and Wi-Fi enabled mobile devices, as well as word processing, spreadsheet, database, and various engineering software including but not limited to the following:
- Microsoft Office Programs [e.g. Word, Excel, Access]
- Computer-aided drafting (CAD), [e.g. Bentley Microstation]
- Road design platform(s) and electronic survey and GPS data collection and processing, [e.g. OpenRoads, RoadEng]
- Project estimating [e.g. MERL]
- Construction project data collection and administration software, [e.g. Mobile Inspector, FieldBook, FieldManager, AASHTOWare]
- Project management software [e.g. ProjectWise]
- Asset management database software [e.g. RoadSoft]
- Specialty and proprietary Engineering Software for pavements, walls, hydraulics, etc [e.g. Hec-Ras, HY8]
(The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria)
- This position works in both an indoor and outdoor environment. While indoors, there is no planned exposure to notable lights, noises, odors, temperatures or weather conditions. While outdoors, exposure to lights, noises, odors, temperatures or weather conditions cannot be controlled and may be extreme.
- This position operates a variety of vehicles including cars and trucks.
- This position operates non-powered hand tools such as utility knives, hammers, pliers, wrenches, screwdrivers, chisels, saws, etc.
- This position operates power hand tools such as drills,etc.
- This position is exposed to variety of hazards such as traffic, moving vehicles, moving mechanical parts, electrical current, slippery surfaces, etc.
- This position is exposed to air quality conditions such as fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, etc.
- This position is exposed to noise levels which require shouting in order to be heard.
- This position is exposed to vibrations and oscillating movements.
- This position is exposed to close quarters which could cause claustrophobia such as manholes, large culverts, etc.
- This position is provided, and required to use, Personal Protection Equipment to minimize the risks associated with the working conditions listed above.
- This position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, traverse, climb, balance, twist, bend, stoop/crouch, squat, kneel, crawl, lift, carry, push, pull, reach, grasp, handle, pinch, type, endure repetitive movements of the wrists, hands or fingers.
- This position’s physical requirements require regular stamina in walking, traverse climbing, twisting and bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, crawling, lifting, and carrying.
- This position’s physical requirements require continuous stamina in sitting, standing, typing, enduring repetitive movements of the wrists, hands or fingers.
- This position performs medium work requiring the ability to exert between 20-50 pounds of force in the physical requirements above.
- This position primarily requires close visual acuity to perform tasks within arm’s reach such as: viewing a computer screen, using measurement devices, inspecting and assembling parts, etc.
- This position requires the ability to communicate and respond to inquiries both in person and over the phone.
- This position requires the ability to operate a PC/laptop and to enter & retrieve information from a computer.
- This position requires the ability to handle varying and often high levels of stress.
(This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the requirements listed above. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements.)
MC Road Grade 5/6/7