Title: Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Agency: VA Dept of Transportation
Location: Fredericksburg District Office
Agency Website: https://www.jobs.virginia.gov/
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
In this position you will provide geotechnical engineering expertise in the areas of investigation, testing, analysis, design and construction. Serve as a geotechnical expert on construction and maintenance projects. Provide forensic evaluations when geotechnical problems develop during or after construction.
Core Responsibilities for Job and Position:
-Responsible Charge Engineer: Fulfill duties as responsible charge engineer in compliance with policies, procedures and the Code of Virginia.
-Policies and Procedures: Assist in the development of policies, procedures and practices reflecting proactive management of the assigned engineering program area.
-Project Management and Documentation: Organize work and monitor work tasks such that projects and documentation are completed within schedule using VDOT's standards, policies and procedures. Process Improvements Develop, recommend and implement process and policy improvements as needed. Assist in monitoring compliance to ensure conformance to the policy, procedures and state and federal laws and regulations.
-Project Team Participation:
Participate or lead project teams as assigned. Ensure timely communications between project team members and stakeholders. Ensure information is technically accurate and effectively disseminated. Review and resolve challenges to enhance team performance.
-Geotechnical Support: Interpret state and federal regulations and support and or perform geotechnical research for the development of standards,
specifications and design techniques. Reviews, plans, and coordinates geotechnical investigations. Provide recommendations to designers in the areas of geotechnical investigation, design and construction. Conduct analysis and evaluation of information and determine impact of geologic conditions. Develop alternate solutions related to geotechnical projects and recommend solutions.
-Geotechnical Analysis: Perform complex geotechnical analysis and develop designs for geotechnical features to be incorporated into project documents. -
-Consultant Oversight: Evaluate consultant designs and reports. Provide technical oversight of consultant prepared plans and recommendations, specifically focusing on geotechnical aspects of complex projects.
-Conduct Engineering Studies: Participate in or oversee engineering studies. Collect, analyze and process data and information. Develop written reports,
recommendations, and solutions that are technically accurate and compliant. Prepare business correspondence and technical letters with recommendations for suggested corrective measures as a result of studies. Prepare or present formal presentations for VDOT staff, or other organizations.
-Communications: Communicate effectively with customers internal and external to VDOT including local governments, elected officials, citizen groups,
-Project Support: Respond to problems and questions from construction and maintenance staff specific to geotechnical project aspects. Visit projects as necessary to evaluate conditions, provide guidance and instruction to field staff. Participate in partnering and value engineering meetings. Provide advice to geologists and engineering staff in resolution of critical project design issues.
• Knowledge of financial management to include budgeting and cost estimation.
• Skill in delivering exemplary customer service, and interact courteously and professionally with the public and other employees.
• Ability to research, analyze, and prepare technical reports and project correspondence.
• Knowledge of FHWA and AASHTO specifications and guidelines for geotechnical design.
• Skill in the use of geotechnical engineering software.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with diverse audiences and to make presentations and conduct meetings.
• Knowledge of strategic, operational and financial management principles, practices and techniques.
• Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, codes and ordinances and policies pertaining to transportation engineering.
• Skill in the use of computers and software applications to include engineering software.
• Knowledge of construction materials and methods, contract administration, estimating, statistical analysis and advanced mathematics.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and oversee complex geotechnical projects, and the ability to oversee and assess the work of consultants.
• Ability to interpret and apply local, state and federal transportation laws, regulations and guidelines.
• Ability to build networks and relationships with employees from other divisions, field personnel, contractors, manufacturers and FHWA representatives.
• Ability to apply advanced engineering principles and practices to a variety of complex transportation projects.
• Comprehensive knowledge of geotechnical and civil engineering principles and practices.
• Ability to provide support to or conceive and or execute research in geotechnical engineering.
• Comprehensive knowledge of geotechnical analysis and design practices and use of companion software.
• Knowledge of project management processes.
• Skill and ability to positively interact with employees, citizens and government officials.
• Ability to write specifications, test procedures, and technical directives. Ability to lead teams in these tasks.
• Knowledge of transportation engineering principles, practices, standards, and specifications.
• Skill in negotiating.
• Ability to read and interpret plans, contracts, specifications and regulations.
• Ability to perform and or analyze soil tests and maintain and organize data.
• Ability to plan, coordinate and manage multiple, concurrent assignments.
• Ability to develop effective working relationships at all organizational levels, both internally and externally.
• Ability to draw rational conclusions and develop solutions from analysis; make independent decisions; and manage multiple assignments.
• Ability to conduct complex analyses of geotechnical designs and develop alternative solutions to project designs.
Licenses and Certifications
• Professional Engineer License
• BS in Civil Engineering or related field preferred; equivalent experience or training may substitute for degree.
• Degree in civil engineering with advanced coursework in geotechnical engineering preferred; equivalent experience or training may substitute for degree.
• Advanced experience in leading and managing geotechnical engineering projects and resolving complex issues.
• Experience in working with engineering consultants and leading and coordinating staff on projects. Experience in transportation engineering.
• Extensive experience managing a wide range of projects of varying complexity in the transportation engineering industry. Experience supervising professional and technical staff.
• Experience in geotechnical analysis and design practices.
• Ability to develop complex, technical reports.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and oversee complex geotechnical projects.
• Ability to oversee and assess the work of consultants.
• Valid Professional Engineer's license and valid driver's license.
• Experience applying FHWA and AASHTO specifications and guidelines for geotechnical exploration and design.
• Ability to provide guidance on policy and procedure interpretation relating to program areas.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Experience applying geotechnical and civil engineering principles and practices.
• Ability to conduct complex analysis of geotechnical designs and develop alternative solutions to project designs.
• Degree in civil engineering with advanced coursework in geotechnical engineering.
• Knowledge of project management processes.
• Skill in negotiating.
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. H1B VISA Sponsorship is not available.
If selected as a finalist, you will undergo:
• References and verification of work history
• DMV Records Check
• Fingerprint-based criminal history records check
We are a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) official certified company and state agency that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard in support of Executive Order 29, (2010). If you are a Veteran or Virginia National Guard Member, we urge you to respond accordingly on your state application.
Name: Christina Martinez
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.