About the Role
Blymyer Engineers is seeking a Senior Structural Engineer who will support a larger development and engineering project team. They will have the opportunity to work in the fast-growing renewable energy field in an ongoing internal mentoring environment. The Senior Structural Engineer will serve as the subject matter expert for technical and engineering matters related to structural engineering design. This position requires the candidate to have an extensive knowledge of foundation design, concrete and structural steel design, pile load testing, Lpile reporting and analysis, as well as corrosion of steel and concrete.
The position is in Alameda, CA. Working remotely is possible based on the candidate’s qualifications and location.
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Perform preliminary design of foundation and pile systems for projects in early stages of development.
- Ensure site specific loading of all proposed solar sites are designed against AHJ local ordinance and ASCE loading requirements. Design all equipment foundations to support solar racking, inverters, battery energy storage systems, and other electrical equipment. Complete review of geotechnical reports for structural impacts on projects.
- Respond to contractor RFIs during course of construction.
- Provide technical input, design solutions and review of all structural documents.
- Confirm Structural Engineering reports and studies are complete, and design incorporated in the project construction documents.
- Collaborate with Project Management and Engineering team to troubleshoot projects or develop alternative repair and remediation plans.
Desirable and required experience, qualifications, and knowledge:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5-15+ years professional experience in Structural Engineering design.
- Extensive experience in design of solar tracker foundation and analysis of tracker loads given by manufacturer.
- Proficiency in real-world structural, civil, geotechnical, and/or design build construction.
- Field experience on large structural projects, including in the field troubleshooting, quality evaluation, and construction support.
- PE is required.
- +2 years of experience with PV and Battery Energy Storage System foundation design.
- Experience with AutoCAD, Lpile, RISA, Pile Load Testing, finite element analysis (SAP2000, STAAD, or similar) or other advanced modeling tools.
- Experience with Structural Civil Engineering standards and codes in the US.