Administrative and supervisory work coordinating the process of engineering, natural resources, developer commitment tracking, and structural review for all land development and building construction in compliance with the engineering and building aspects of the Land Development Code, Fire Safety Codes, and Building Codes. Assists the department in achieving its mission and vision.
Essential Job Functions
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and coordinating the review of work projects, and support activities related to the development review process.
- Coordinates with other County departments and divisions as well as outside agencies (i.e., Department of Transportation, St. Johns River Water Management Districts, municipalities, engineers, surveyors, developers, etc.) to facilitate the accomplishment of work objectives.
- Initiates and effectively recommends for final approval by Deputy Administrator for Growth Management, hiring, terminations, performance evaluations, disciplinary, and/or commendatory actions for assigned personnel.
- Maintain effective public relations with other departments/divisions/offices, state agencies, cities, and the public in general.
- Assigns appropriate division staff to represent the division by attendance at all Technical Review Staff.
- Prepares and presents the division's annual budget and assures continued adherence to the parameters of the adopted budget.
- Presents Board presentations.
- May serve as Acting Community Development Director in his/her absence.
- Performs other related work as required.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field
Experience: Six (6) years of professional-level experience in the administration and supervision of engineering operations related to land development, building construction, and code enforcement.
Miscellaneous: Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Florida. Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of principles and practices of engineering and building codes applicable to land development, utility systems, highway design, and building construction.
- Ability to evaluate information, make decisions, and coordinate programs efficiently.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with skills in making effective presentations.
- Ability to maintain an effective relationship with staff, other departments, officials, and the general public.
- Ability to use a personal computer and associated computer programs to accomplish assigned tasks.
Physical Demand Requirements:
Physical Demand: Light
- 20 pounds maximum lifting.
- Frequent (up to 2/3 of the work time) lifting, carrying up to 10 lbs.
- If less lifting is involved will require significant walking/standing.
- If mostly sitting is involved will require push/pull on arm or leg controls.
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by spoken word or perceiving sound by ear.
- Good eyesight for production or safety of self and others.
- Physical agility is required in kneeling, bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Required to have clear vision at distances of 20 inches or less.